the jock and the valedictorian (5)

Andrew's POV: (cont.)

I open my eyes to find the other side of the bed empty. I sit up and stretch. Where's Melanie? I don't hear the shower running. I get up and walk down stairs and I hear her crying. I see her on the couch. I sit down beside her and pull her into my arms. She began to cry harder. "He's gone, Andrew, he's gone. I'm never going to see him again." She gets out between sobs.

"I'm so sorry, Melanie. No one should have to through this." That makes me think of her mother. Where is she? "Hey, Melanie, where's your mom?"

"Once she got the news she went to the spa. But she's probably at her mother's."

"Why...."

"Why didn't she take me with her? She doesn't like to seem weak in front of people. Even in front of her own daughter."

"Well, I'm going to be here for you. I'll stay here as long as you want me to." She nods into my chest. I kiss the top of her head. "I'm here." I whisper.

She pulls back, "What about school, you have to go."

"One day is no big deal. But I'll go tomorrow and bring home your assignments for you."

"No, I'll go tomorrow and what about tutoring you?"

"I think Ms. Swanson will understand. Why would you want to go to school tomorrow?"

"I don't want to be alone and I need to take my mind off of things."

"Oh."

"So, I will continue tutoring and everything."

"Whatever you want, master." She laughs. "And I don't even feel like bossing you around anymore."

"Give it time you will." She smiles.

"Thanks Andrew, this means a lot."

"No problem. Do you want anything to eat?"

"There is some cold pizza in the fridge. That sounds good right now."

"Okay. I'll be right back." I walk into the kitchen. "Hey, would it be alright if I make a phone call?"

"No, go ahead." She calls back. I find the pizza and put it in the microwave. I dial a number, "Hello. I would like to talk to Ms. Swanson, please." The person

patches me through.

"Hello. This is Ms. Swanson. How may I help you?"

"This is Andrew Reed and..."

"Mr. Reed, aren't you suppose to be here already?"

"Yes, that's why I'm calling. Melanie's dad died yesterday and ...."

"Oh my, poor thing."

"Yeah, but I don't think she should tutor anymore."

"Yes, I agree."

"But she says that she wants to take her mind off things and do it."

"Well, if she feels up to it tomorrow then she can. If not then I can assign you a new tutor."

"Yes, ma'am. But I'll talk to her about it and let you know."

"Okay, now with baseball practice. I will talk to your coach and I'll make sure he won't give you a difficult time for being absent."

"Thanks, Ms. Swanson."

"Okay, send her my regards. Bye, Mr. Reed."

"Bye, Ms. Swanson." I hang up the phone and get her pizza out of the microwave. I walk back into the living room.

I sit down beside her. "You know you don't have to tutor me anymore."

"I know but you have done so much for me already and I want to make it up to you."

"What do you mean? Done so much? I've actually only been really in your life for like 3 days."

"Yet you got me to sing. I haven't sung since my best friend past. I've had a lot of fun in the past couple of days. Especially with yesterday, you helped me a great deal. Thanks." She gives me a hug. "I'm going to take a shower." Then she walks upstairs.

Melanie's POV:

Okay, maybe I shouldn't have given him a hug. It was a little awkward. God, I'm such an idiot. Now he's going to think I'm a blockhead. But I shouldn't care

what he thinks. Defiantly, after yesterday. Still, why do I care so much? Yeah, he's hot and nice although, he does sleep around and he can be a moron

sometimes. Plus, at times he can be insensitive. Well, he proved me wrong with the whole insensitive thing. What will happen when we go back to school? Will he ignore me? Yeah, that's it he will go on like this never occurred because boys will always be the same.

I get into the shower and do what I usually do; wash my hair, shave, and wash my body. But once I was done with all that I just stood there and let the hot water pour over me. God, why does my life have to be so messed up? My mom doesn't want to be around me, my neighbor is the one comforting me. My neighbor! My relatives, where to start, they hated my dad because he married my mom apparently she wasn't good enough for him. It's the same with her family.

They are...were good for each other. They were happy together. He is her soul mate, her one and only...her everything, the person who made her world go round. He is the person who she woke up to, he is the reason my mom lives, he is her day and night. Now, she has to live without her everything. I scream out in rage.

Andrew's POV:

I hear Melanie scream. My head shot towards the stairs. I have to see if she is okay. I run up the stairs taking two at a time, "Melanie." I don't hear water running. I knock on her door. You can hear her crying out in the hall. I let myself in to find her sitting on the floor against her bed, in a towel, sobbing into her hands. I got to her and plop down beside her and bring her into an embrace just letting her cry against my chest.

We are like that for at least an hour when she pulls away from my and says, thanks. Melanie starts to lean in. My first thought is 'Is she going to kiss me?'.