Chapter Nine

I was in the kitchen making some dinner for my mom. She's at work and she texted saying it was going to be a long night. Scott's driving me and is going to take me to the hospital since he's bringing his mom food as well.

I put some turkey on a piece of bread, and put some lettuce, and tomatoes on the other. I put it in a ziplock bag. I also get a few other things out to bring to her too. Once I'm finished I put it all in a bag and walk outside, waiting for Scott.

There's a little moth flying around and I stick my finger out to see if it will land on it. I don't think it will.

To my surprise it actually does but as soon as it does I see something.

Death.

Doctor.

And a noise, little a battle cry.

I snap out of it when Scott's headlights appear on my face.

"Hey, everything okay?"  He asked me

"Yeah, fine."

He hands me a helmet, I put it on and get on the back of his motorcycle. He always makes sure to drive carefully when he's with me. He knows I hate motorcycles.

***

We walk into the hospital and it's packed. People everywhere, most of them with really bad injuries.

"I'm starving," Mrs. McCall says as Scott gives her the food.

"Mrs. McCall do you by chance know where my mom is?" I ask her

"Yeah, she's tending to a bunch of patients right now. The E.R. Attending isn't answering his pages."

"What does not answering pages mean?" Scott asks

"It means that no body can find him. Doctors page people when they need to get a hold of them, like if something like this happens," I answer. I know a lot about this stuff, my mom always informed me on what kind of stuff happened while she was at work. I caught on eventually.

"Miss?" A lady says

"Yes?"

"Excuse me, can I please have something for the pain?" She asks

"I'm sorry I can't. Giving you something could complicate things," Mrs. McCall explained.

I set my moms food next to Melissa's. I turn around and Scott is holding onto the lady's hand. This veins look black. It's weird.

"Someone help me!" A man screams.

It's Ethan holding Danny. I run over there.

"Ethan, what happened?" I ask him

We set him down in a chair and Scott came over. Clearly mad.

"What did you do to him?" He asked/yelled. He looked like he was about to kill Ethan.

"Nothing. He said he was having chest pains and trouble breathing."

"This is not good," Melissa mumbled, "his larynx has shifted to the side. I think it's a tension pneumothorax."

It looked like I was the only one of us who understood what she just said. I was going to explain it but Danny vomited right then and there.

"Mistletoe," Ethan said.

We roll Danny into a room.

"Where are the nurses and doctors?"

"It's a full house tonight. They're tending to other patients.

"How can we help?" Scott asked

"Honey, you can't. His lung is collapsed."

"He's gonna die isn't he?"

When Scott said that I swear I saw a bit of worry in Ethan's eyes. I almost felt bad for him.

"Scott, grab the tape. You cut his shirt open."

"What can I do?" I ask Melissa.

"Do you know what I'm gonna do?"

I see the long needle she pulls out and nod.

"Good, then just pray it works."

The she puts it right in Danny's chest. She does something and Danny exhales.

"Thank you." Danny mumbled.

We all smiled of relief.

"Isabella, can I talk to you for a moment?" Ethan asked

"Yeah, sure," I said. Scott gave me a look as we walked out into the waiting room.

"I didn't do this," Was all he said.

"I know."

"And you probably don't believe me but- What?"

"I don't think you did it. I saw your face when Danny stopped breathing. You were genuinely scared for him. I have to think that there's a good person somewhere in you."

"Thank you," Ethan said with a little smile. "Do you think Scott will believe me?"

"Er- Scott, maybe. Stiles no. And basically everyone no."

"Then how is it that you believe me?"

"I just- I just don't think it's fair to judge or assume things about people. Yes you and your brother can be total asses but we don't know anything about you two. I'm not saying what you guys are doing in your alpha pack is right but you haven't really hurt any of us. And you sure have had the opportunities too."

( a/n oh my. That's 800 words and it's only 5 minutes into this episode haha)

***

I went to go see if I could go talk to my mom for a few minutes and I came back outside and there were cops there. Great. I see Scott and Stiles talking and walk over to them.

"Hey, what's happening?" I ask looking at Stiles.

"You see that car?" He asks and points to a car a few yards away.

I nod.

"That car belonged to the on call doctor. So now two doctors are missing," Stiles explained.

"Sacrifices?" I ask

He nodded, "Healers."

"Wait, that-that means, my mom, she-she could be next," I say my words breaking apart.

"No, she won't. We'll make sure of it."

***

Next day at school was sorta of a blur. I've been worrying about my mom all day. Stiles and Lydia have tried talking to me but I haven't been paying attention.

"Bella, Bella?" Lydia says

"Hmmm?"

"You okay?" She asks

I nod.

"Hey, you're moms gonna be okay. Where is she now?"

"Work. If she's not dead."

"She's not. Come on, we're gonna see Danny."

"Actually. I'm gonna go home."

"Seriously. Stiles will drive me crazy. You're my only hope," She running her finger down her cheek like a tear.

"Sorry, I want to go and make sure my moms okay."

So I went home. Stiles called me. Made sure everything was alright. And for now, it was.