Chapter Twenty-Six

"Alright people, keep it up! No, Raleigh, that goes over here," Preston stated. He was currently ordering around the drama club, trying to set up the party decorations. It was pretty difficult, considering they were all in costume. The club leader was running around, telling people where things went, in a skirt. Max had nearly messed up the lights a few times staring at him.

"Get to it! We only have an hour! Tyler, dammit, that goes by the door," he sighed, patting his hair back into place as he walked. Max was moving the step latter over a bit, stealing glances at his crush.

"Max, stop staring. You'll have enough time to do that later," Preston murmured as he paraded past. The shorter boy blushed, hiding it behind his trench coat.

"Violet! How the hell did you get your dress caught?" He heard the irritation in the other's voice. With an eye roll, he continued pining up the lights. It didn't take him long to finish.

"Max! Great, you're free. Come help me set up concessions," Tabii purred, dragging him with her. The girl was dressed as Heather McNamara. He caught Preston glare at her before moving on to something else.

"You're actually a great J.D," she whispered once they got behind the counter. She pulled out some boxes. "Did you notice Preston's dressed as Veronica?"

He snickered. "How could anyone not notice? He's been running around for the past ten minutes."

Tabii laughed and opened up one of the boxes. "Can you get the ones under the table? Kinda hard to get to it in this."

In the few minutes it took to set up, Max learned a lot about her. She'd changed a lot since they were ten- definitely for the better.

"So, where's Chandler and Duke?" he asked when they got down to the last box. She glanced up at him. "I'm assuming you're talking about costume wise. They'll be here later." She started taking the candy out of the box. "If you're talking about Sasha and Eren, probably back in my hometown. They were a little too bitchy for me."

He snickered at the comment an finished unpacking them.

"Has anyone got to concessions yet?" Preston asked as he rounded the corner. He stopped at the sight of the two. "I guess that answers my question. Tabii, Claire needs help with the tablecloths."

"On it!" The blonde girl called out, dashing to Claire's aid. Preston nodded and turned his attention towards his crush. "Max?"

"Yes?" His head snapped up, trying not to stare at the skirt and black stockings. The taller teen rolled his eyes and sighed. "Alright, I'll let you admire it. But I need you to block off the hallway."

He nodded eagerly. Preston smirked and spun around once before heading back towards the gym. "We've got thirty minutes, hurry up!"