Chapter Twenty-One

Preston woke up fizzing with energy and excitement. He couldn't believe Max had called it a date. Granted, his crush probably wasn't talking about it in the same context as him, but it was nice to dream.

   He got ready in record time. Seven minutes, to be exact. Now it was only a matter of waiting for the bus. He pulled up the group chat.

🎭DramaQueen™: GUYS
🎭DramaQueen™: YOU WON'T BELIEVE IT
SecretlyaSorceror: Wah'ts up
SecretlyaSorceror: *What's
🎩MagicBoi💫: Thanks for being my alarm. Now what?
🎭DramaQueen™: LOOK

   He sent them screenshots of Max calling it a date, bouncing in place.

SecretlyaSorceror: Nice
🎩MagicBoi💫: Awesome!
🎩MagicBoi💫: And lucky
SecretlyaSorceror: Still having trouble with Neil?
🎩MagicBoi💫: Ofc
🎭DramaQueen™: Aw, he'll come around.

   The bus whipped around the corner and Preston put his phone away. He was still bouncing a bit, eager to see his crush in person. He boarded the vehicle quickly. Once he was seated he plugged in his earbuds and put on some music.

   His playlist was halfway through when he got to school. He was one of the first of the bus, skipping to his locker. After shoving what he didn't need into the locker, he hurried off to class.

   His smile grew wider once he caught sight of Max. He approached his desk, trying to steady his nerves. He slipped into it easily, flashing his crush a smile. "Hey, Max," he said casually.

   "Hey," Max replied gruffly. His eyes widened and he cleared his throat. "Sorry," he spoke normally. "Haven't really spoken to anyone yet."

   Preston felt like he was going to melt. Max? With a deep voice? He almost started to fan himself. "I need to calm down," he thought.

   "It's fine. We've all been there," he murmured reassuringly. The shorter teen snickered. "Yeah, yeah..." They talked for a little while longer before class started.