Chapter Eighteen

"Hey Max! Mind if I practice some lines?" Preston asked cheerfully as they took a seat near the top of the bleachers. Max smiled and shrugged. "Go for it."

   Surprisingly, Preston practicing lines with him was a normal occurrence. They were mainly from other plays because they hadn't figured out one to do for drama yet. Sometimes Max would improvise and throw a few unexpected lines in. It was very effective, especially when the older teen started stuttering. Max found it fucking adorable.

   "My Alexander..." Preston pointed at him, signalling it was his turn. "Shit, what's her name again?"

   "An...gelica?" It came out more like a question. Joy flashed in the other's amber eyes. He grinned and went on to the next line. "Don't forget to write..."

   He started to sing quietly, but Max could still hear him. "Look at where you are... Look at where you started. The fact that you're alive is a miracle..."

   The shorter boy listened in awe. "Damn. Preston used to be a horrible singer..." He rested his chin in his palm, watching the performance. "Times have changed."

   "If I could grant you peace of mind... Would that be enough?" Preston glanced towards Max and blushed, realizing he was staring. "Um... Max?"

   "Hm?" He snapped out of it. It took him a moment to access the situation. He coughed and looked away, hiding his red cheeks. "That was really good."

   "Th... Thanks..." he stammered, his bob cut waving a bit. They sat in silence for a while until he remembered something.

   "Oh, yeah! Both the art club and the drama club are hosting the school's Halloween party this year," Preston said proudly. Max gave him a worried look. "Define hosting?"

   He laughed. "Art club has already figured out most of it. We've just gotta set up and work a few shifts." He rummaged in his satchel for something. He saw the relief wash over the teen beside him and smirked. "So, have you figured out what you're being?"

   Max started tapping his shoes. "Not really. You mentioned a vampire, so I might do that."

   The taller boy titled his head to one side. "Can I give you another suggestion?"

   He watched the other shrug and his lips curled into a smile. "You'd make a great J.D."

   Max snickered. "You've gotta be fucking with me."

   "I'm not," Preston replied, holding back a laugh. "A short J.D would be cu- I mean, funny as hell." He had to clasp a hand over his mouth to not laugh at his crush's face.

   "Damn. Rude much?" The black haired boy joked, a gleam in his eye. "How 'bout this." He leaned against the wall behind him. "I'll go as J.D, but only if you go as Veronica."

   Preston giggled, knowing it was nothing more than a petty joke. (Though he wishfully thought otherwise.) He locked eyes with the other. "You've got yourself a deal- but please don't blow up the school."

   They both couldn't help but laugh.