Chapter Twenty-Two

"As far as I know, we've just gotta set up and work a few shifts," Preston finished. He was telling the drama club about the Halloween party. Max had heard this before, so he decided to admire his crush instead.

   "Any questions?" The perky teen asked, watching a few hands raise. He began addressing them. "Ashley?"

   "What's the date again?" she inquired. He stifled a sigh. "October twenty-eighth. We have two weeks. Tyler?"

   "Do we have to dress up in costume?"

   "It is a Halloween party. Claire?"

   "How are shifts going to work?"

   "Good question! Thirty minute intervals, I believe... Max?"

   "What time should be here to set up?" he asked, playing with his sleeves. Preston was surprised the boy was actually participating. "It starts at six, so I'd say about five. William?"

   The jaded teen watched him answer more questions. "He's such a good leader. How does he do it?" he thought, resting his chin in his hands.

   "Is that all the questions? Alright. Start rehearsing," Preston sighed, returning to his seat. He caught Max staring at him and smirked, pulling out his phone. He sent the other a text.

   Ping.

   Max blinked in surprise and unlocked his phone to read the new message.

Preston: I know I'm cute but damn.

   His face flushed red and he shot a look at the sender. The taller teen looked smug, but was also blushing lightly. Max shoved the phone in his pocket and made his way over to his crush.

   "Context would be nice, y'know," he muttered, sitting beside Preston. The teen giggled. "I caught you staring at me. Is that enough context?"

   His face was red again and he looked away, hearing the dramatic boy giggle mercilessly behind him. "It's not my fault you're fucking adorable..." Max mumbled under his breath.

   "What was that?" Preston asked, pushing a strand of hair behind his ear.

   "Nothing!" he sputtered, trying not to blush again. The dramatic teen grinned. "Y'know, the same goes for you," he purred.

   Max gave him a playful look. "What, that I'm nothing or that I'm cute? Because one of those is pretty true."

   He watched his crush roll his eyes, but smile. "The part where you're fucking adorable," he answered. A startled expression appeared on Max's face. "I'm not deaf, Max."

   "And I'm not cute," the shorter boy retorted. Both teens were blushing a lot. "Damn it..." The black haired teen murmured, hiding his red cheeks. Preston held back a laugh.