Chapter Nine

"So, how's it going?" Preston grinned, locking eyes with his teacher. "Rather well," he answered. "It isn't that hard when you know what you're doing."

   She chuckled, starting to walk away. She quickly changed her mind and turned back around. "By the way..." she spoke softly. Her student glanced up curiously.

   "Did you manage to get Max into drama?" she asked. Preston perked up a bit. "Oh, yeah! He said maybe. It's not exactly a no, so we might actually have him on board. He's actually quite the writer, did you know that? And-"

   "Preston."

   "Yes?" He felt his face heat up. Ms. Sutherland gave him a small smile. "You're rambling again."

   "I... I was?" The teen stammered, feeling his face get warmer. He glanced down shyly. His teacher laughed softly before moving on to the next student.

   "Why did that happen?" Preston thought, flipping his sheet of paper over. "That hasn't happened since I was at camp, when..."

   He froze. "Oh no."

   The dramatic boy continued writing with a blank expression. "Oh no no no no no. Nope. Nada. Nooo way. Not a chance. Fuuuck that."

   He had finally finished his work and was frantically trying to find something to distract himself. Avoiding the inevitable, you could say. He pulled a book out of his satchel; "Just Ella" by Margaret Peterson Haddix. He turned to the last page he had read.

   "I promise I won't get mushy, but I long to be back at camp with you," the book read. 

   "Dammit," he muttered under his breath, slamming the book. "There has to be something to get my mind off that childhood crush!"

   "... Shit."

   Preston was practically panicking. The one thing he was trying not to remember was flooding back to him. It hit him in waves of nostalgia, agony, hopeless love, and everything in between. He crossed his arms on the desk and laid his head on them.

   "No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, NO!" His mind scolded itself. "There is NO WAY you are developing a crush on Max again." The boy was having a mental war with himself.

   "It's not a second crush... It's a restored one... Right?" He sighed to himself and drifted into an uneasy sleep.