Chapter One

The rain wasn't softly cascading down the windshield of Carters car, it was pelting the poor glass with the force of a tornado. The sky outside was dim and gloomy, darkening the entire parking lot into what looked like a scene from a bad horror flick. Carter could almost imagine someone dressed in black, holding a shiny knife, chasing some teenaged girl through the darkness of what should have just been an ordinary school parking lot. For a few seconds here and there, the surrounding cars would be illuminated by lightning, only to go back to darkness in the next second.

Carter was in his car, throwing glances at his watch every few minutes as he decided whether to face the wrath of the storm outside in order to get to his first class, or whether he would rather drive home right then and there and hopefully survive the wrath of his mother. Taking a surveying glance of the sky through the window, Carter decided that facing the storm was preferable to another lecture from his mother on the importance of school.

It wasn't that Carter didn't like school, his classes were alright and the teachers were adequate. The only reason why he had been skipping school periodically in these last few months was out of his intense desire to pretend that he wasn't completely heartbroken after his last break-up.

Sitting at home, knee deep in ice-cream and HBO, Carter could almost pretend that sleeping alone, waking up alone and spending his days void of a boyfriend, while being forced to see his ex almost every day was completely fine and didn't faze him in the slightest. Of course, this was a complete lie, but while drunk on sugar and sexually explicit drama, Carter could forget that.

The hand on the clock ticked again, signalling that Carter only had three minutes until his first class started. He sighed, opening the car door. He was instantly hit with freezing cold water which promptly turned his once dry and styled, deep brown hair into a wet mess. The water seeped down his body as he closed the car door behind him and ran the short distance towards the main school building.

He pulled his hoodie over his head as he ran, cursing himself for not doing it before he left the car. He sighed as he finally reached the side of the building where the roof extended, allowing him to take a few breaths before he had to make his way to the entrance which was inconveniently placed on the other side of the building.

He was completely unaware of the person standing behind him until he heard the person clear their throat. Carter turned quickly and had to suppress an eye roll as he realised who it was. The boy was leaning against the light brick wall, an indifferent expression on his face. The boy was dressed all in black, a similar colour to his messy hair, which somehow wasn't even damp in the dreadful weather. There was no spec of actual colour on him, even his eyes were a shade of grey not unlike the clouds above them. The boy was well built, and Carter could almost see the outline of hard muscle underneath the dark clothing.

This wasn't some stranger standing against the wall, that would have been one thousand times more preferable, it was someone that Carter had once knew well.

Alex.

Carter's ex-boyfriend.

A physical pain manifested itself in Carters chest as he looked at the boy he had once loved. There was nothing of that boy left, no remnants of the person who had once held Carter close in the night or held his hand as they walked each other to class every day.

In the boys hand was a cigarette, and he brought it to his lips and away before raising his eyebrows at Carter as if to threaten him for staring at him so long. The twinge of red which surrounded Alex's eyes made Carter think that maybe it wasn't tobacco he was lighting up.

Carter cast his eyes down, shaking his head slightly as he walked off towards the entrance, willing the hole in his heart to stop aching throughout his body.