Fourteen

14 • When he was pushed away
Ricky point of view
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀I stare at him shocked, Maria looks nothing like him. He stands there all weird, trying to look superior.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀”I'm sorry, but I'm not letting a stranger inside Chloe's apartment. If you want to see Maria, go after Chloe in California. Now goodnight.” I inform shutting the door in his face.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀The guy didn't seem to be joking or lying, I'm scared that I did something bad. Since I'm unsure about it, I called Chloe to let her know who's in town.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀”Hello? Ricky?” She answer.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀”Yeah, it's me.” I confirm. “So uh, this guy named Luke came here, he claims to be Maria's dad. I had no idea if he was lying or not, I just thought that you'd prefer to be here to talk to him, so I told him to leave.”
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀”L-luke? He saw Maria? Did they talk?” She asks with worry in her voice.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀”He saw her for a split of second, I don't think she saw him. Why though?”
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀”He left me pregnant! I don't want him near my daughter! If he shows up there again, call the cops.” She furiously yells through the phone.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀”O-okay. I won't let you down, Chloe. But what if he tries to have custody of her?” I insist.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀”I don't care! He can't do that! Luke doesn't even know her! He'll never ever come near Maria!” She shouts ending the call.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀I’m scared for Chloe. Luke could actually go after her with a lawyer saying Maria needs to spend time with him. The one I'm worried about the most is Maria, her life can be affected. Chloe once told me this Luke dude moved to Russia after leaving her, he'd take Maria all the way to Russia. He had a ring on his finger, Maria would have to deal with a step mom who most likely wouldn't like having her around. Luke might even have other children, she'd have to deal with kids that maybe wouldn't like her. The situation is pretty bad.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀I hear footsteps, as I turn I see Maria staring at me. The little girl looks broken, maybe she heard what Chloe said somehow, or maybe she heard her dad was there.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀”Why did you push him away?” She whispers looking at her own two feet.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀”It was for the best, Maria. I don't think your mom wants you two to know each other, at least not now.” I explain trying to calm her.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀”So you just let the guy walk away? I didn't even have the chance to say hi!” She whimpers.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀”Everything happens for a reason, maybe he wasn't here for a good reason.”
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀She shrugs. “We'll never really know since you told him to leave.”
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀With that, she leaves me alone in the kitchen thinking about what just happened.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀A/N-Poor Maria!😭