Chapter 5: Too Close for Comfort

*Scarlet’s POV*

I swung my legs over the edge of my bed, inhaling deeply as I wiped my hands down my face. There was a slight pain above my right eye. My feet slid across the floor as I made my way to the en suite bathroom connected to my room. I looked at the bruise in the mirror. The light blues and purples covered my brow bone and slithered down my cheek. A little make up should cover it up, and if the boys notice I can just say I got it from soccer practice.

It’s my fault really; I shouldn’t have accused him of cheating again. Chase said he wouldn’t cheat on me again and I should have believed him. Maybe if I hadn’t accused him, he wouldn’t have hit me. It was my fault.

I dabbed some foundation over the bruise and blended it out. I pulled my long brown hair back into a messy ponytail and threw on some shorts and a t-shirt to practice in. Before grabbing my bag and cleats I took one last look in the mirror. I turned my head to the left. To the right. Perfect. I opened my bedroom door just as Zayn was leaving his room. Shit. Wasn’t he supposed to be taking advantage of some whore somewhere? I turned my head away so he couldn’t see the right side of my face.

“Morning.” He muttered, his voice was tired.

“M-morning.” I stuttered, looking at the ground. I began to walk off quickly avoiding his questioning gaze.

“Scar?” he called after me. “let…” he awkwardly finished. I stopped, turning my head slightly, looking at the floor, my back still facing him. “You dropped this…” he said holding up one of my cleats.

“Thanks.” I muttered as I quickly grabbed the shoe and proceeded down the hall, not once looking Zayn in his dark brown eyes. I hastily made my way to the front door, avoiding Niall’s tired hello as he leaned against the counter stuffing his face with cereal. I slammed the door shut letting a single tear run down my face.

*Zayn’s POV*

Last night was awesome. I forget the girl’s name, but she was awesome. I had an awesome time. I flung my legs over my bed looking at my clock. 9:30. So early. But Niall said to be ready at 10 because the boys were coming over and we were going to go shopping at the mall then come back here for dinner and a movie. Sounds like a pretty good day to me. I ran my fingers through my hair and trudged towards my door. Just as I stepped into the hall Scarlet opened her door. She looked surprised to see me. She quickly turned her head away and looked down the hall at nothing in particular.

“Morning.” I muttered to her. Too early to talk. Ugh.

“M-morning.” She managed to stutter out. That was weird; she was normally such a morning person. She started to walk away avoiding my eyes. This wasn’t like her. In her haste she dropped her cleat.

“Scar?” I called after her. “let…” It felt weird calling by a nick name only friends of hers used. She turned slightly revealing her flushed cheek, her back however was still facing me. “You dropped this.” I said bending down to pick up her spiked shoe.

“Thanks.” She responded before snatching it from my hand lokking at the ground the  whole time. She turned and quickly exited the apartment slamming the door behind her.

I walked down the hall and in to the kitchen. Niall was leaning against the counter with a spoon full of cereal hanging out of his mouth.

“Hey mate.” He forced through the side of his mouth. It sounded more like “mmmuuuhhghuumm” but I understood it.

“Did Scarlet seem…different…when you came home last night?” I asked pulling the cereal out and pouring it into a bowl. Niall swallowed what was in his mouth, pulling the spoon from his jaws.

“I don’t know, Louis and I got in pretty late last night, she was sleeping when we got home.” He said nodding at Louis, who was sprawled out on the couch, his arm hung off the side while he drooled into his pillow. “Why?”

“I don’t know. She seemed dethatched this morning.”

“She’s probably just stressed, school starts back up tomorrow, and she has a really big game on Tuesday.” Niall said filling up his bowl once more.

“Yeah, I could just be imaging it. I mean when she is ever attached to me. Right? She practically hates me” I laughed in to my bowl sipping the milk from the bottom.

“Nah, she doesn’t hate you Zayn…she just-” Niall began.

“Really hates you.” Harry finished swinging the front door open and walking straight to the counter, grabbing the cereal box and popping the crunchy nibbles into his mouth. Liam followed.

“Come on guys, we’re leaving now, Paul is waiting!” he yelled as he took the football sitting by the front door and threw it at Louis, who fell to the floor complaining about a terrible bunny nightmare with no carrots or something.

“How’d you know I was here?!” Louis grumbled throwing the football back at Liam, who dodged it letting it hit Harry.

“I’m that good Lou. I’m that good.”

“Oi!” Harry yelled as the football hit him. “LOU-” Harry started picking up the football, but was interrupted my Paul.

“HARRY! No throwing balls indoors!”

“But-”

“No.”

“He-”

“No.”

“I-”

“No. Come on we’re leaving.”

We all laughed at a disgruntled Harry as Paul ushered us out the door.

..............................................................................................................................................

Ok! so what is this chapter 5? Hope you liked it!

Let me know what you think! Feedback is much appreciated.

What do you think is going to happen next? Who's your favorite character so far? And dont worry there will be more of the other boys in the upcoming chapters.

Thanks for the read! vote, comment, fan. whatevea.

-Juliet:)