I realized that Ricky was looking at me with a strange glimmer in his eyes. I stumbled out of my thoughts and back to reality.

            “Did you not like the loft I showed you?” I stuttered. I still got tongue-tied around Ricky.

            “I didn’t even look at it,” he admitted, still staring at me with that weird look.

            “Why are you looking at me like that?” I finally snapped.

            My current state had me feeling extremely self-conscious. My frizzy hair that I hadn’t tended to in ages was tugged up into a loose bun, there was not a scratch of makeup on my face, and I was still in my robe and slippers. I flicked my eyes at the microwave to check the time and it was 6:45 pm. I hadn’t even gotten out of my pajamas all day. Man, I was pathetic.

            “Just you,” he smiled.

            “Do I have something on my face or something?” I did a quick check and came back empty.

            There was a long pause, and then Ricky said, “Why don’t we go for a walk?”

            “Right now?” I groveled. “I’m still in my robe!”

            “Then take this,” he said, throwing his jacket at me.

            Defeated, I swapped it out for my robe, changed into my old Converse from high school, and followed him out the door.

            I had no idea where we were going. Ricky wasn’t really the spur-of-the-moment kind of person, so I was a bit suspicious. As we exited the complex, I checked around a few trees to check for things that might pop out at me.

            “Just come with me, Princess,” he took my hand and tugged me with him.

            I smiled; glad he still called me Princess. It was a rarity that he used it, but it slipped out every once in a while. Old habit, I guess.

            It was a cool evening, and the breeze was refreshing. I probably looked like a dork with this oversized jacket draping over my hands and reaching my mid-thighs. But it was comfy, which quickly overruled any insecurities I had about it.

            I let Ricky tow me to a small park a few streets away, and then he let me go so I could walk by his side. It was peaceful at the park, and we seemed to be the only couple out besides a few others enjoying the evening.

            “You read my subconscious. I definitely needed to get outside,” I said while watching the sun slowly sink behind the tall buildings.

            “I am good at that, aren’t I?” he laughed.

            We followed the path until we came to a bridge overlooking a small pond. I couldn’t help but stop and look out at it, watching for fish or turtles. I could see my reflection in the water and observed as it wobbled and swayed in the current. I looked a lot happier compared to years back. I’d made a lot of changes since then and rarely ever frowned. Life was good.

            “Are you happy, Emma?” Ricky asked me, and I looked up from the water. “Are you happy with us?”

            “Of course I am. I’ve been by your side for four years now, and I’m happier than ever,” I gave a reassuring smile.

            Ricky paused, searching the ground for the words he wanted to say. I watched as color bloomed across his cheeks and he vaguely resembled his high school self.

            “Remember that day when you saved my life at the pond?” he mumbled.

            I thought hard on trying to recall the memory but all that came to me were a few flickers of my childhood. I could just make out the child form of Ricky.

            “Sort of,” I replied. “It’s a bit blurry.”

            “I wish you could. It was the day I fell in love with you. I know it was because when I saw your face after spitting all the pond water out of my throat, a sort of enlightenment came across me. You were the first person to ever…save me from myself. It was my fault I’d fallen in that pond. And you’d rescued me. Does that sound stupid?”

            “Not at all,” I whispered to him.

            “And when I’d heard about your parents, I knew it was my time to save you from yourself. I couldn’t let you drown…I wouldn’t let you drown,” he continued. “You mean absolutely everything to me, Emma. I never want to let you go.”

            My heart was beating so fast; I couldn’t keep up with it. It was suddenly unbearably hot in his jacket and I could hear my breathing in my ears.

            I watched slowly, amazingly, as Ricky bent down on his right knee, never breaking eye contact with me. His hand went for something behind his back and it came back holding a tiny black box.

            My stomach was doing flips and my heart was beating erratically, trying to break free from my chest. I felt my lips curve into a giant grin and my eyes watered like they always did.

            “Emma Lucille Hark,” Ricky said slowly, a smile growing on his own face. “Will you marry me?”