Chapter Twelve: There's a Monster in My Bed [HALLOWEEN SPECIAL]

HALLOWEEN SPECIAL! Okay, I made Halloween on a Saturday so bear with me. I know it’s not the right date. But you’re just going to have to deal. :3 I love every one of you! Thanks for everything! DON’T FORGET TO COMMENT! <3333

            “Boo!” Charlie shouted into my face as I slowly woke. I rubbed my eyes and stretched, my body feeling decently healthy for the first time in days. That meant that that was my last night on the couch. Even though it was comfy, I could feel my back beginning to cramp up. And I missed my bed.

            For Halloween, everything looked pretty peaceful outside to me. The rain had finally cleared and sunshine filtered through the windows, brightening the house. I couldn’t find a single cloud in the sky from where I was looking and everything seemed so much cheery than it did at the beginning of the week.

            “Did I scare you, Emmy?” Charlie asked. I looked my little brother over, who was wearing a little Frankenstein outfit. How adorable.

            “Nah. I don’t get scared that easily.” I said, patting his head. He frowned and stomped off towards the kitchen, where the smells of breakfast wafted through the air. The scent of pancakes filled my nose and reminded my stomach that it had been empty for the last 24 hours. I quickly got up and ambled over to Luna, who was preparing a giant meal consisting of blueberry pancakes, orange muffins, fruits, sausage, and tofu. How delicious!

            “Need any help, Luna?” I asked, grabbing an empty plate and stocking it up with muffins.

            She looked up at me surprise and gave a smile. “Sure.”

            We both set up the table, filling it to the brim with snacks. The Stephens really went all out for meals, even though it was just breakfast. There were Halloween decorations scattered across the house; spider webs, pumpkins, fake spiders, funky colored lights, and bowls of candy. I smiled, loving what they’d done with the place. My parents never liked Halloween and refused to decorate. How opposite they were to my new family.

            “Emma!” Michelle’s shrill voice came from the stairs and I looked up. She was headed right for me, arms out and ready for a hug. I braced for impact and felt her warm body squeeze up against me. “You’re finally up!”

            “Yes,” I choke out, unable to breathe within her grasp. “I feel. A lot. Better.”

            “Good, good! I see you’ve helped to set the table. How nice!” Michelle added, peppy as usual. Henry came down the stairs, fanning the delicious smells to his face. Charlie was already seated, digging into his first of many pancakes.

            I sat down and helped myself, biting into a muffin. The Stephens discussed Halloween and what their plans were going to be. I was apparently already added into the equation.

            “You see Emma, Henry and I have a cocktail party down at our lake house every Halloween. It’s a yearly thing and we’re always the hosts,” Michelle gloated. “We will be leaving for the house this evening and will be back tomorrow afternoon.”

            “Well, what about Charlie, Ricky, and me?” I asked, confused.

            “Charlie goes over to his friends house to trick-or-treat and then Ricky and you will have free-reign of the house.” Henry smiled.

            Were they idiots? Did Henry and Michelle really give Ricky the whole house for the night? That’s insane! No parents would give a devil offspring like Ricky absolute control over a house!