Chapter Eight: Secrets, Secrets, Are So Fun

The high-pitched buzz of my cell phone woke me from my sleep. I swung my arm over to my nightstand, almost knocking over my lamp. I fumbled for my phone and blinked when I saw the caller.

            Incoming Call: Nate-o!

            So that’s what he’d put himself as in my phonebook.

            I drowsily answered the phone, “Hullo?”

            “Hey,” Nathan’s whisper floated into my ear. “Did I wake you?”

            “No. I’m always up at 5:05 am.” I whispered sarcastically, not wanting him to hear my early-morning voice. His soft chuckle echoed through the phone.

            “Sorry for waking you, but I want to see you.”

            “At 5:05 in the morning? Um, no thanks. I don’t have a car.” I said, about to hang up. This must’ve been a prank or something.

            “That’s alright. I’m already here,” I froze, darting my eyes around my room, making sure no one was lurking in the corners. “I’m in the garden. Come down and visit.”

            I didn’t really have a choice, did I? I abandoned my toasty bed and, phone still to ear, drifted through the halls, down the stairs, and out the back to the garden. I’m surprised no alarms went off. I hung up as soon as I saw Nathan standing by a giant shrub. He was already dressed for school, bag slung over his shoulder.

            “Can I ask what’s going on?” I asked, walking over to him. Nathan looked me over with a satisfied look.

            “Yes, but first I have to compliment you on looking so wonderful this early.”

            I blushed and looked away.

            “Well, I have a bit of insomnia….” Nathan started.

            “Yeah, no joke.” I chortled.

            “And,” He continued. “I thought I’d just get ready for school and come and visit my favorite sophomore. I have the keys to the garden and since your room overlooks it, I thought I’d wake you up.

            “I was thinking, since the sunrise is in a couple of minutes, maybe we could watch it together. I know the perfect spot.”

            Well, that was sweet of him. I gave him a playful nudge to the arm and said, “Sure.”

            We strolled through the garden in silence, taking in the towering shadows in the dark. It was cold this early and the dew made every leaf sparkle. It was like I was walking through a winter wonderland, only without the snow. A shiver rolled through me and Nathan gave me his school blazer.

            We finally stopped at a large tree that had giant branches extending from it. My toes wiggled in the wetness of the luscious grass and I clutched the blazer around me.

            Nathan hopped up, climbing the tree with ease. He stopped and swung his arm down to me. “Need a lift?”

            “You’ve got to be kidding,” I muttered. “I don’t climb, sorry.”

            “But the best view is up here!” Nathan whined slightly and, exasperated, I took his hand. Surprisingly, he was quite strong. He raised me effortlessly and I caught my balance on a low branch. He plopped down on a branch next to me and I looked up.