Chapter Thirty Four: Under the Mistletoe [CHRISTMAS SPECIAL]

Dedicated to pineapplepants because of her intense love for RWAP. I swear, I had over 30 notifications from just her. She's wonderful.

**Please excuse my "tense-switching". Meaning, if it goes from the past tense to the present or something like that. I was reading The Hunger Games while writing and since the book is in a different tense than RWAP, it confused me a bit.**     ^^;

            “You know, you look beautiful tonight.”

            To hear James’ voice again was like being able to breath again after diving too deep into the swimming pool. It was such a relief to reach the surface and suck in that sweet gulp of air. And now, with his gorgeous face plastered across my laptop’s screen, I could feel my lungs being filled with relief.

            “Even miles away and you’re still polite,” I smiled.

            It was Christmas Eve. I had been getting ready for the evening when a Skype call had interrupted me. It was from James, so I had to take it. He had called just to check up on me. I couldn’t believe it’d already been two weeks. But he was happy in his new school and that was all that mattered, right?

            “How’s Ricky? Still holding up?” James asked.

            “Oh, you know Ricky…” I trailed off, unable to think of something good enough to tell him.

            To be honest, Ricky had been fine. He was still the most popular senior at school, still gettin’ all the ladies, still not doing his homework. He was still good ole’ Ricky. But I thought that telling that to James might upset him in some way. Maybe he’d think that Ricky wasn’t even affected by his move. So I kept it vague.

            “He got a haircut,” I tried. “He looks like a redneck now.”

            James and I shared a quick laugh.

            Below me, I could hear the arrival of Riley and her family and butterflies hatched in my stomach. I haven’t seen my “cousin” in what felt like ages. Hopefully I’d make a better impression on her family this time, unlike before.

            “Distracted?” he pulled me back to the screen.

            “A bit,” I admitted. “I think some of the family just arrived.”

            “Do you need to go?” I could hear the sadness in his voice.

            And right on cue, Michelle called me downstairs.

            “I do, James. Sorry I have to cut it short,” I gave a sheepish smile.

            “No problem. Merry Christmas,” he blew me a kiss and I closed my computer.

            Standing up, I smoothed my ruby red, skin-tight dress out and wiggled in my too-high high heels. I wobbled over to my mirror, checked my makeup, and scooted out the door.

            This time, I’m wasn’t afraid to go downstairs. The smell of turkey, ham, and stuffing pull me down the stairs and straight to the kitchen. But before I can even meet eyes with the delicious food, I’m ambushed.

            “Emma!” Riley’s loud squeal blared in my ears and I reached out to catch her body before it collides into me.

            “Hey, Riley!” I hugged her back. “It’s been a while.”