Chapter Eighteen: Check-Up

Nathan’s P.O.V.

            “Hello, Nathan. It’s been a while,” Mrs. Stephens greeted me at the door. She looked peppy as usual, but a twinge of sadness gleamed in her eyes.

            “Hi, Mrs. Stephens. Am I allowed to come in?” I asked politely.

            “I’m assuming you’ve come to check on Emma. Is that right?”

            Damn. She’d seen through me. “Y-yes ma’am.”

            “Well, good luck. Emma has been unresponsive for the past two days. She’s refused to eat or go to school. I’m so worried about her,” and she did look worried. It was like she was talking about her own child. “Maybe you can help her.”

            “I left school early to visit her. If you don’t mind, I’ll go up and see,” I said and walked past her and into the colossal house.

            It had been a while since I’d been here. They had renovated a lot. The walls were painted a different color now and the TVs and computers had been updated with newer versions. The same paintings still hung on the walls, though. And I could see a small indent in one of bathroom doors from when I’d smashed my elbow into it. Good times, good times.

            I floated upstairs, knowing exactly where to go. Emma’s room was the last door on the right. I eyed Ricky’s door precariously, scared he would come out and pummel me. But he didn’t, as he was still at school. I’d been smart to do this when he wasn’t home.

            I didn’t bother knocking, as I knew she wouldn’t answer to it. I simply opened the door and walked in.

            Emma’s room was blindingly girly. Everything was so neatly stored away. It didn’t look like anyone even inhabited it. But, tangled in the blankets, was Emma.

            She wasn’t sleeping. Her dark blue eyes watched me. She lay diagonally on her bed, entwined with the blankets. Her hair spiraled around her head and stuck to her face; it made her look like a feral child. She wore a simple shirt with some shorts.

            Emma didn’t move as I approached her. I sat on the edge of her bed, clearing my throat awkwardly.

            “Hey,” I breathed.

            “If you’re here to make me feel bad, please go away,” she said, her voice muffled by the covers.

            “I’m here to check on you, silly,” I smiled, lying down next to her crumpled body. She eyed me speculatively.

            “Nate,” she whispered. A small shiver rolled through me. I loved the way she said my name. “I am so sorry.”

            Her already red and puffy eyes began to swell with tears. I reached over and quickly caught them with my finger. “Already forgiven.”

            Emma snuggled in closer to me, pressing herself to my chest. I froze, unsure of how to react. Here was the girl I loved laying next to me and I didn’t even know what to do. I timidly wrapped my arm around her and she sighed.

            “I can hear your heart,” she mumbled, pressing her ear to my shirt. “It’s beating really fast.”

            “Mm,” was all I could manage.

            We stayed like that for a while. I soaked in the pleasure of having Emma with me. I could smell the strawberry-scented shampoo that wafted from her tangled hair. I watched her inhale and exhale as she listened intently to my heartbeat. It was all so perfect. I could never stay mad at this girl, much less keep my distance. She had me so tightly wrapped around her finger; it was unbelievable.

            “I wish it could just be like this,” Emma said, breaking the silence. “I wish it could be this easy.”

            “What do you mean?” I asked.

            Emma propped herself up on her elbow so she could look at me.

            “I want our relationship to be easy and fun. I don’t want to have to worry if I’m hurting your feelings,” she explained and I immediately understood.

            I stroked her hair. “It can be easy.”

            “But-but I don’t want to ruin this. Nathan, I just want to be friends.”

            I know it hurt her to say that. I could see the sorrow in her expression. She stared into my eyes, searching for my emotions. I did my best to hide them.

            “Okay,” I said suddenly. She blinked.

            “What?”

            “I’m okay with that. But I’m not going to give up. I still think I’m the best choice for you.”

            Emma smiled, putting her head back down on my chest. “Love you, Nate.”

            Even though she meant it in the most non-romantic way possible, I still felt butterflies in my stomach.

            “Love you too, Em.”

DON’T FORGET TO VOTE AND COMMENT! Whoo for double updates!