BONUS CHAPTER: Nine Months

Due to a crazy rise in reads lately, I thought I’d revisit Emma and Ricky and give a little insight into their life who-knows-how-many years later. Enjoy, lovies!  -kaboodles

            “I feel like I’m going to throw up,” I mumbled, watching as my world seemed to tip slightly to the left.

            “Not the morning sickness again!” Ricky moaned from the kitchen.

            “No, no. It feels different.”

            I was about a month into my pregnancy and already suffering from all of the horrible side effects that you see in movies. For about three days straight, I’d woken up with my head in the toilet, retching. Stupid pregnancy.

            “You’re just nervous for the dinner party, aren’t you?” he called, and even though I wasn’t looking at him, I knew Ricky was smiling.

            I was always nervous for any kind of party with the Stephens. We were having over Henry, Michelle, Riley, who was currently residing with my foster parents after getting fed up with her own, and Charlie. They’d never seen our apartment downtown and they didn’t know I was expecting. So, this was going to be quite an interesting dinner.

            After the wedding, Ricky and I had unanimously decided not to move to New York because we wanted to stay close to family and business for Ricky was booming. I also liked my job at Barnes & Noble, and it would be sad to leave. So, with the rock that was my wedding ring on my finger, and a bun cooking in the oven, we were staying put in our loft. Maybe talk of a bigger residence when the kid popped out would come, but I still had eight months to go.

            The shrill of the doorbell ringing made me jump.

            “I got it!” Ricky shouted, abandoning his cooking and heading for the door.

            I remained at my post by the prepared dining table, looking awkward in my summer dress.

            “Ricky!” I heard Charlie’s deepened voice call, attacking his brother.

            Other greetings for Ricky filtered through, until they got past him and all eyes landed on me. I stepped forward, a wobbly smile on my face. My knees shook and I felt like my stomach was already showing, but I knew it wasn’t.

            Charlie was the first to reach me, as usual. He wrapped his arms around me, his head bumped into my own. He was very close to surpassing me in height.

            “Geez, do you ever stop growing?” I asked after he let go.

            “Guess not!” he grinned.

            Henry and Michelle gave their welcoming hugs, and then Riley swooped in.

            She was looking gorgeous, like she always did. Her striking red hair was braided down her back, and she wore a tight white dress that complemented her new curves. Her ivory skin was decorated with jewelry of all sorts.

            “Hey, Em. Did you get a boob job or something?” Riley said bluntly.

            My mouth dropped. “No!”

            But it was too late. Everyone’s eyes were on my chest and my face turned beet red. It would make it more obvious if I tried to cover myself up. Why didn’t I wear a sweater?!

            “Wait a second…” Michelle stroked her chin theatrically. “You do look different.”

            “I second that,” Charlie stepped back into the conversation, mouth full of a piece of bread from the kitchen.

            How were they already noticing? It was supposed to be a surprise, damn it!

            I looked at Ricky for help. He shrugged, as if telling me to just let the cat out of the bag.

            “Okay,” I sighed, giving up. “It was going to be a surprise, but I’m-,”

            “Wait! Don’t say it!” Michelle squealed, cutting me off. “Let us guess!”

            “Are you dying of a rare illness?” Henry tried.

            I shook my head, a smile on my face. “Nice try, though.”

            “Are you changing your gender?” Charlie asked, and we all burst out laughing.

            “Where did that even come from?” I giggled.

            “Just a thought…” he mumbled, returning to the kitchen for more food.

            “Are you and Ricky moving?” Riley said, her voice hinting at sadness.

            “No,” I reassured her. “We’re happy here. At least, for now.”

            “AHA!” Michelle exclaimed. “I’ve got it!”

            We all jumped at her shout. She paused for suspense, a sly look in her eyes. Oh, Michelle.

            “You’re pregnant, aren’t you?!” she pointed at my stomach.

            Everyone gasped, except for Ricky and me. Instead, a smile grew on both of our faces. They’d figured it out.

            We nodded together, Ricky snaking his arms around me and placing his hands on my nonexistent tummy. Everyone freaked out then, Michelle and Henry getting all emotional, Riley taunting Ricky for sex details, and Charlie just kind of starting groaning about how he wasn’t going to be the baby of the family anymore.

            “We weren’t expecting that!” Michelle said after she’d wiped away her last tears. “How exciting!”

            “Have you figured out a name yet?” Riley pestered.

            “It’s only been a month!” Ricky shot back. “But, if it’s a boy, we thought of Nathan. You know, to remember him by. And if it’s a girl, we’re sort of screwed.”

            “That’s not true!” I stepped back to give Ricky a glare. “I really liked Joanna. Or maybe Tiffany.”

            “Let’s hope it’s a boy, then,” he teased me.

            “When’s dinner?” Charlie whined. “I don’t care about babies. I just want food!”

            “Alright, let’s eat then,” Ricky directed us all to take a seat.

            “Psst, Emma,” Michelle whispered to me. She took my hand from across the table, a motherly gleam in her eyes. “I think you’re going to make a great mom…just like your real mom.”

            Like always, I felt tears begin to bud in my eyes. I’d never looked at it that way. Would I really be a good mom? There was no training for this sort of stuff.

            “Thank you, Michelle,” I smiled.

Told you I’d make bonus chapters! I know this was short, but I’m working on my new story as well, I Think the Killer Has a Thing for Me. It’s a mouthful! If you want more to read and you’re bored because it’s summer, check it out!

So, Emma’s preggo now! Who woulda thought?!