I don't see dead people . . . Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Mickey's POV

I woke up suddenly. Well, that was weird. I had another vision, but this one was . . . I couldn't really explain it. When I have a vision of someone, I can hear their thoughts, but this one was sort of fuzzy.

It was like hearing someone growl and snarl as opposed to talking. All I could understand from this one was that the person was in the forest and someone snuck up on him.

Shit, I hated these. There was obviously much more risk of getting hurt or killed if there was a murderer in the forest. I debated with myself for about two minutes before grabbing my gun, the compass Maria gave back, a water bottle, my sneakers, and an ace bandage I somehow knew I'd need.

My tent was at the edge of the campsite, the farthest one from the campfire. I listened to make sure no one was near the tent before sneaking out carefully, the Mission Impossible theme song playing in my head.

I managed to open the zipper without anyone hearing it, and slowly crawled out. Making sure my feet didn't step on any dead leaves or make any noise, I walked, crouched low, to the back of the tent which was facing the forest.

When I got far enough that I thought nobody would hear me, I stupidly got careless and stopped paying attention to my surroundings.

"Where the hell do you think you're going?" Shit!

I turned around to see a very pissed off looking Nate. "Uh, just for a walk," I said as nonchalantly as possible with my heart thudding in my chest.

"Without letting anyone know?" he asked, stepping closer. "At least let someone come with you."

"Nate, I just wanna be alone for a while. I'll be back soon; I won't go too far." That was kind of a lie since I had no idea how far I was going or when I'd be back.

"Mickey. It's night time. The sun is not in the sky. There are animals in the woods," he said slowly, like I was an idiot.

"Don't talk to me like I'm a three year old."

"Don't act like a three year old."

"I'm just going for a walk. I have my gun with me, and I'll use it if something bad happens."

He closed his eyes, took a deep breath, and changed tactics. "We worry about you. Please just wait until the morning."

"I'm sorry, Nate."

He got angry again. "Whatever, Mickey. If you wanna get yourself killed, go ahead." With that, he stormed off back to camp.

Derek's POV

Nate walked out of the woods, looking pissed as hell. "What happened?" I asked. Everyone else was sleeping, or drinking and talking by the campfire, while I was a few feet away, sipping a bottle of beer.

"Mickey decided to go on another 'walk'." I could hear the quotations in his voice. He was mad because it sucked caring for someone who didn't care for themselves. It was possible that he like her more than just a friend.

"Shit. I'll follow her and make sure nothing happens." Actually, I was dying to know what the hell she did on her walks. It must have something to do with whatever secret she's been keeping.

"Do what you want," he said dismissively, but I knew he was glad she'd have some protection.

I went in the direction Nate came from, hid behind a tree to strip, and changed into my favorite form: an eagle.

Mickey's POV

I didn't wanna leave Nate like that, but I had to hurry. My instincts told me where to go, and I walked quickly, almost running. He delayed me, but I've never been too late to save someone before, no matter what got in the way. I kept my ears open for any noises, and heard panting and a soft mewling noise.