I don't see dead people . . . Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Trevor and Evan were leading the way to the lake. At a snail's pace. I forced myself to keep my mouth shut knowing that if I complained, they'd find it cute and move slower just to piss me off.

Derek was acting really strange. He kept shifting his gaze everywhere like something was about to jump on us. Was he really that scared of a mountain lion? I quickly checked my - I don't know what to call it; the thing that lets me see people die - to make sure we'd all make it out of here alive, and everything checked out okay.

I was almost trembling with how badly I wanted to go swimming. Ever since I could remember, I've always loved it. "You're so hyper," Tori laughed.

Eddie said, "I can help with that." He wrapped his arms around me from behind and picked me up so my feet were off the ground.

I tried to kick and squirm but, damn, he was strong. "Put me down!"

Everyone laughed except Derek who was looking at me funny. What was his problem? Evan said, "Calm down, we're only about 6 miles away."

"Liar!" I accused. I could faintly hear the waterfall in the distance.

"Yup."

Eddie wouldn't let me down and I could feel his body shaking with laughter every time I tried to get loose. "Is that really the best you can do? You definitely gotta work out more."

Trevor's voice stopped me from making the retort I had in mind about how steroids affect men. "We're here!"

I craned my neck to see better but then Tony put his hand over my eyes and laughed. "Tony! You're so mean!"

"I'M so mean?! This is just payback for that time you slipped that drug in my drink."

"You make it sound like I was trying to rape you. All it did was turn your pee green for two days..."

Everyone laughed. "Man that is a beautiful view! All of that clean blue water. I can't wait to just jump right off that cliff and immerse myself in-"

"Tony, shut up!" He laughed and let go. Oh. My. God. It was f*cking gorgeous! The water was sparkling, I could see tiny fish swimming around, the waterfall was huge, and the cliff was 10 feet high. "Eddie?"

"Yeah?"

"Let me go before I do something to you that consists of spoiled milk and mayonnaise," I said in a calm, reasonable voice. He dropped me like I was on fire.

"This is awesome!" Nate said enthusiastically.

"Understatement!" Tori practically shouted. "This is beyond incredibly amazingly spectacular!"

"I'm not wasting time trying to describe how sick this is," Trevor said right before he ran toward it, taking his shirt off in the process. Evan, Tony, and Nate followed after him.

Right before they got to the edge of the lake, Lizzie screamed, "Piranhas!"

They stopped so abruptly that they fell forward in the mud. Lizzie, Eddie, Tori, and I collapsed on the ground laughing hysterically. Derek had a smile on his face and his body was shaking slightly. He was more in control of himself than the rest of us, as you can tell.

"You think that's funny?!" Evan yelled.

"Yeah!" we all screamed, even Derek.

Then Nate threw two balls of mud at us. One hit Lizzie right on her stomach, ruining her hot pink cover up, and the other hit Derek on the shoulder. Then they all laughed and Trevor, Evan, and Tony copied him. We all screamed and tried to hide behind trees and bushes. One mud ball hit me in the back and I saw Tori take one to the leg. We all scattered to find trees big enough to shield us.