I don't see dead people . . . Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Derek's POV

After Mickey, Nate, and Lizzie left, I went for a walk in the woods. Mountain lion, my ass. I wondered what Mickey would do if she knew what it, or should I say HE, really was. His scent was pretty easy to follow and Mickey's scent made a sort of trail, so I knew where to find him.

Running didn't tire me out like it did humans, so I ran as fast as I could. I saw him sniffing at a patch of grass and leaves. He was apparently so occupied; he didn't even notice me until I stepped on a twig. His head snapped up and his eyes narrowed. As soon as he sniffed at me, he relaxed a little.

"You mind changing back?" I asked him.

He looked toward a tall bush and went behind it. I heard the gruesome sound of bones snapping for a few minutes before he stood up. The bush was just tall enough to cover his privates. "What do you want?"

"I wanna know what happened with Mickey."

"You mean like the mouse?"

I rolled my eyes. "The girl that was here." I wondered if something caused the seizures of if they were really just random.

"Oh, that sexy one."

My teeth grinded. I didn't like her like that, but it pissed me off when people talked about her that way. "Yes, her. What happened?"

"Go look over there." He nodded toward some bushes.

I looked and covered my nose with my hand. There was a dead 'mountain lion' there. "Shifter?"

He nodded. "Rouge shifter. Some little girl was walking around and he was closer than me; about to attack. Out of nowhere, that blonde girl showed up and told the kid to leave. I was thinking 'no you idiot, go with her'. She turned and saw me, took out a gun, then just started shaking. The rouge was thrown off, and I attacked him. Nothing fancy, just a broken neck."

"Nothing caused the seizure?" I asked to be sure.

He shook his head. "Who the hell are you, by the way?"

"My name's Derek."

"I'm Danny."

"She was okay when she woke up, right?"

"Yeah, when I was done with the shifter, I went over to her a licked her face, try'na wake her up. She did eventually, and I played around with her for a while." He paused for a second then asked, "Where are you from? I don't think I've seen you before."

"That's 'cause I'm not from here." I left before he could ask more questions.

Damn, Mickey almost got killed by a rouge shifter. Rouges were shifters who stayed mostly in their animal forms and slowly lost their humanity. Eventually, they stopped differentiating between animals and humans. Most shifters, like me, were either in a pack, or alone. Danny was probably in one, I could tell, because of the way he acted. I used to be in one before... Damn it, I still felt that pain in my chest when I thought about it.

It was extremely unlikely that Mickey just went for a walk and happened to stumble upon a little girl who was about to be killed. There was something she was hiding but I couldn't tell what it was. She was human, as far as I could tell, but every time she went for a 'walk' or a 'drive', something weird happened.

I knew I should stay out of her business, but I couldn't help but be curious. I'd figure out what was up with her.

Mickey's POV

Maria's parents thanked us over and over but after a while, they let us go. We were now in the car, looking for a good station. "There's nothing but pop on," Nate complained. Nate was driving and I got stuck in the back seat.