I don't see dead people . . . Chapter 5

Chapter 5

"Danny, where you goin'?" Carter asked. Who's Danny?

"Just going for a walk," Hunter shouted back.

"I thought your name was Hunter."

"Hunter's actually a nickname I got when I was a kid." I raised my eyebrows in question. He laughed and said, "I used to hunt for frogs and lizards when I was younger. My mom and dad started calling me that and it stuck. By the way, did your parents seriously name you Mickey?"

I laughed. "No, of course not! My name's Michelle. Nate was messing around with it one day and somehow came up with Mickey."

He laughed and said, "You don't act like a girl from LA."

"I'm from New York. What about you?"

"I've lived near here all my life."

"Your friends at the lake, too?"

"Yeah. Actually, Ash and Jenny are my cousins." Suddenly, he smiled widely. "Come with me." He took my hand and led me a bit further into the woods. I ignored the comfortable, familiar feeling it gave me.

"Where are we going?"

"You shall see," he said in an ominous voice. We walked for a few minutes until we came to a tree. The thing was HUGE! "Come owan, city guyl," he said in a really bad New York accent.

I laughed, "That was tragic."

Before I knew what he was doing, he bent down, put his arms around my knees, and picked me up. "Put me down!" Shit, I was getting manhandled way too much today. First Eddie, and then Nate, and now Hunter. Eddie was right; I needed to work out more.

He laughed. "Grab the branch." He carried me toward the tree so there was a thick branch in front of me.

It was low enough to reach my stomach when he was holding me up like that, so I grabbed and pulled myself up so I could sit on it. "Ass," I muttered. Again, he laughed. Then he jumped literally three feet in the air, grabbed another branch, and pulled himself up. He did it so gracefully without a single struggle. "How the fuck did you do that?"

"Practice." The tree had many limbs and the branch he sat on was facing me. His eyes looked so much like Racer's. "So how do you like LA?"

"It sucks. It's like everything's so fake, you know? The people, the personalities, the boobs..."

That earned another laugh out of him. He really did have an amazing laugh. "You're right. I prefer things real," he said while his gaze went down to my chest. That made me aware that I was still in my bathing suit.

Well, this sucked. I couldn't cross my arms over my boobs because that would push them together and I didn't have anything to cover up with. "Damn it, I shoulda brought my clothes."

"I disagree." He shifted around a bit before, out of nowhere, he said, "Let's play 20 questions." Was his voice strained?

"Okay, I'll go first. What's your favorite color?"

"Green."

"Why? Wait, does that count as a question?"

"That was two questions," he laughed. "My favorite color's green because I love the forest. My turn, do you have a boyfriend?"

My mouth dropped in shock. "What the hell kind of a question is that?"

"You didn't say no personal questions allowed."