Chapter Six

....

....

Karen..

....

....

The sounds of birds chirping in the dark morning filled the sky.

The smell of burning salt water swirled in my nose, making me gag momentarily.

And I couldn't take being lifted by water every second of every day.

I didn't know what dangers lured in the silent waters at this time of morning. I didn't trust the stillness of the ocean. I kept my eyes closed, not wanting to see anything roam the water, which will probably frighten me and i'll end up rolling in the deep ocean. I didn't want that to happen.

I could tell by the darkness of my shut eyes, that the clouds haven't cleared in the sky yet. By afternoon, it'll probably rain the rest of the night. I was getting a slight headache and the smell of salt water started to rise. I opened my eyes and covered my nose with the sleeve of my shirt.

"Damn, it reeks out here'' I mumbled, mostly to myself.

"Well what do you expect? You're in the ocean." A pitiful voice replied.

I turned from my seat and found the same man from last night looking at me. "And who was talking to you?" I asked. He smirked and said, "Obviously -"

"Wrong, me." I said, pointing to myself. He looked at me distastefully and scoffed. "Well you don't have to be rude, ma'am." He said sarcastically.

"Sorry, sir, I didn't mean to come off mean. I'm just saying that what I said before was not addressed to you, I was speaking to myself." I explained, tiredly.

"And was it so wrong of me to reply?" He asked. I rolled my eyes, getting slightly annoyed. "Just leave me alone, ... name?"

"When you're a lot nicer I'll announce my name." He said before turning around. I shook him off and sighed. The waves started kicking in, rocking the boat side to side.

I looked ahead of us and saw something; I think it was trees, Hawaiian-like trees. I squinted my eyes to get a clearer vision and saw that it as an island. Or what looked like an island. Whatever it was, I'm going towards it. I grabbed the wooden rows and started to lead the boat in the direction of the sand.

“What are you doing?” The man asked in confusion.  I continued to stroll, seeing as it is hard to swing them back and forth because of the excess water.  “Do you see that little island up ahead over there,” I pointed. He nodded. “I’m trying to lure this boat over there so I can get out of this damn thing.’’ I said, ignoring the pain from my hands.

“Need a little help … Karen?” He asked, smiling. I raised my brow and stopped what I was doing. “How do you know my name?” I asked.

“Your bag.”

I looked at my burgundy colored bag, seeing that my name was sown in the front in grey. I once again rolled my eyes and snarled, "Shut up." I said, trying to obtain my strength while steering the boat. I looked ahead and saw that we were drifting towards the little island.

Once the boat hit the hard ground, I hopped out the boat and ran away from the annoying water. My feet were now drowning in the cool sand, and I sat down, breathing in the now fresh air. No more salt. I laid down on the seaweed covered sand because my back ached.

Laying here was much better than the hard wood of a boat. Then something crossed my mine. Not something, someone. Sierra! I can't believe I've forgotten about my best friend. I got up as quickly as I could and dashed for the boat, pushing the guy out of the way as he was getting out the boat.

I checked and looked all around the place, still no sign of her. I put my hands on my head in frustration and sadness. "Oh god, she is not dead." I said. Wait, wasn't she here before I fell asleep? And then when I had awoken, she wasn't here. That means that man over at the trees must've known what had happened last night.

I ran towards him, knocking him off his feet and onto the ground. I climbed on top of him and grabbed the collar of his shirt, ready to threaten him if he doesn't speak.

"Listen here sir -" " - The name is Chresanto" He interrupted. "Hush up! Now since I wasn't awake from the night before 'til this morning -" He cleared his throat and held his hand up, signaling for me to stop.

"If you wouldn't mind bringing your tone a bit down I'd likely accept that." He smiled innocently.

"Oh i'll bring your tone down, bitch!" I thought. I calmed myself and asked again. "What happened while I was asleep? Why isn't Sierra in the boat?" I asked.

He sighed before replying,

"Look, all I remember is that when we were just swaying from the waves, there were other boats around us too from the ship. I guess .. Sierra caught someone's eye because she was eyeing one home boy from one of the boats. We were all interacting until I fell asleep. I guess she might've went with that boy and we all went into different directions." he shrugged.

"She would do that." I whispered to myself.

"What a stupid act." He unnecessarily replied. I'm growing slightly livid with him. "You know, you need to learn when to talk and when you don't need to. I was talking to myself." I said.

"Talking to yourself?" He questioned.

"yes, is there a problem." I stated.

"Well, Isn't that kind of weird?" He asked, looking at me weirdly. I ignored him and got up, smoothening my hair while looking up at the sky. "I sure hope they've sent a search crew."

Because I certainly know I can't survive here. Especially with ''Chresanto'', or so he says.

...

...

...

How is the story?