6: Spitballs

awesome banner to the side by ashtonlirwin

~Mikayla's pov~

We ended up eating at the diner I work at because Jacob left his wallet at his home, Max doesn't get money from his parents because they think he'll spend it on sugar, and I didn't because I have to save mine for payments and food and I only had about ten dollars on me. So Jacob was hoping we can get a discount because I worked there.

"Hello, my name is Amy and I'll be your waitress today," Amy said in a fake cheery voice. "What would you like to dr -- Mikayla?" Her face did a one-eighty when she looked up and saw I was one of three costumers.

"Hey Amy, how's Sally? I haven't seen her for awhile." Amy was only twenty and had helped me with all my orders when I was newly hired. She was really smart and didn't deserve to be working here, but her family didn't have enough money to send her off to college. Sally was her little sister, who was twelve, that sometimes got dropped off by her parents to wait for Amy to get off work.

She smiled. "Oh, she's fine. She'll be coming tomorrow, she has been asking to go but last week was my vacation." Her eyes flickered to the two boys who were awkwardly trying to make it look like they didn't just listen in our conversation. She looked back at me and gave me a look, tilting her head to the side.

I jumped, now feeling as awkward as Max and Jacob. "Oh. Amy this is Jacob and Max. Max is new here, from New York City. Jacob, Max this is my friend Amy." I waved my hand to Amy.

"Nice to meet ya." She smiled and waved. "Now, what would you like to drink?"

***

Me and Max were laughing our heads off when the spitball Max blew out of his straw had landed right on Jacob's eyelash.

"Ugh, gross." He wiped it away and let it fall to the floor. A smirk made its way onto his face as he quickly aimed his straw at Max and shot.

Max saw it coming and quickly ducked and smiled in satisfaction. Soon though, we all heard a high-pitched scream and we all winced at the volume. Jacob was the first to look up. His face dropped, his eyes widened and he froze. Then he frowned deeply.

Curious to see what had made Jacob's mood sour, we turned to see a girl jumping around and swatting at the wet piece of paper to get off her perfectly shaped eyebrow. Max and I glanced at each other and tried to stifle our laughs at Kate Skye; AKA Jacob's ex-girlfriend.

Once she had gotten the spit ball to fall off her face, she looked ahead ready to glare at the first person she saw with a straw and had on a 'deer-caught-in-the-head-lights' face. But the clenched jaw quickly developed into wide beam. "Jacob!" she squealed throwing her arms out in the air, carful with the cup in her hand, and started running over to him and wrapping her arms around his neck, practically sitting on his lap.