Act 7: Your Stagger

Due to the lost night, you ended up ordering three cups of coffee to stay awake for the day. The downsides were the stinging headaches caused by all the caffeine infused in your body; the bright side was that, at the place where you bought the beverages, you ended up meeting again with Sadie.

     After ordering your third serving of coffee, she couldn't help the spark of curiosity that took her over. She first made sure to finish with the small line of customers before settling down with you; she ended up questioning you over your well-being and inviting you to sit down for a while to talk.

     "Tough night?" She asked, her lips tugging into a bright and friendly smile.

     You nodded your head at the question, bringing the third –and final– cup of coffee over your mouth and taking a quick sip of the steaming beverage. "Yeah. . . I think I only slept like half an hour or so."

    The two of you conversed for a brief while, occasionally being interrupted due to the random customer looking to buy some doughnuts. Sadie, however, insisted you stayed for a little longer, telling you how she'd be right back whenever she went through the storage door in order to look for missing inventory. It took her approximately half an hour to finish with the small rush of clients, the sight of her going back and forth making you wonder over why there wasn't another worker with her today.

     "Sorry for the wait." She excused herself shortly after arriving at your table and set down two plastic cups filled to the brim with iced water, noticing it had been long since you finished with your third coffee cup. "I kinda wanted to ask you something before you left."

     "Go ahead." You offered, directing a small grin towards her.

     She pulled back one of the empty chairs and took a seat, facing you right after settled down on it, A glint of curiosity was visible on her visage, though that was weighed down by reluctance; despite her amiable and somewhat ambivert nature, she hesitated before speaking up.

     "Is the girl you were talking about named Pearl, by any chance?"

     You tensed lightly at that question, remembering how she teased you about the matter a few times during your extensive ride leading to Steven's home. A tinge of bashfulness conquered your actions and train of thought as you tried to look for a response to that question which didn't make you appear all that embarrassed.

     "Yes." You forced out.

     "And have ya gone out with her yet?"

     You shook your head at that inquiry, an awkward grin and furrowed eyebrows letting her know that wasn't something you had written in your plans. "It's not like that."

     A laugh erupted from Sadie's mouth, the sound a mix between amusement and wholeheartedness. "And here I was hoping to tell Steven to set you guys up!"

     Both your mind and muscles relaxed once hearing that reaction; the young woman was surprisingly understanding and amicable, her actions somehow reminding you of both Peridot and hotel guy, two people of which you'd grown used to and had become rather comfortable with their presence.

     You spent another half hour at the doughnut-selling establishment, and after a few extra minutes of loitering about, you began to wrap things up, waving goodbye at Sadie and picking up an extra bag of sweets to gift to Steven and anyone else that desired a bite.

     The salty air and sunny skies greeted you immediately after exiting the premises, the sound of seagulls chirping and flapping their wings leading you to notice a small flock nibbling viciously over a discarded hamburger bun near a trash can.