Act 2: Her Confession

After letting go of you, Pearl offered you a seat at the small couch sitting nearby the living room. Her smile remained present over her face whilst waiting for you to settle down. You on the other hand, and with some hesitation, brought your travel bag next to the couch, this being the only luggage you'd brought with you for your short stay at Beach City.

     Despite your insistence over staying again at a nearby hotel, they assured you it was fine if you stayed at their house, mainly Steven with his excitement over having you here again. They were more than happy to welcome you into their home after a year of knowing you, and everyone in the household was eager to speak with you.

     Having finally sat down on the provided seat, you inspected your surroundings with curiosity being your main factor, and soon enough, you focused your gaze on Amethyst, who was standing next to Garnet near the kitchen counters. The two women were discussing something amongst themselves, yet once the purple one caught a glance of you sitting next to Pearl, she acknowledged you for a second time— this time winking at you in a somewhat teasing, though well-intentioned fashion.

     "How is your photography career going?" Pearl inquired, making you return your attention over her.

     "It's going well. . ." You trailed off, trying to make memory of the places you'd visiting during your absence at this place. "I traveled to Barbados and Santo Domingo recently.

     Pearl's smile widened at your reply, and she eventually carried on with her small talk. "And how long do you plan on staying here? You. . . don't seem to bring much with you."

     "I'm staying for six days."

     Hearing your reply, her bright visage became gloomier, and she lowered her head in thought. It seemed she desired to tell you something, yet each time she felt ready to say it, she held herself back. She kept on speaking with you for a long while, though you couldn't shake off the reaction she had minutes before.

     Soon enough, you were sharing a meal with Steven and his family at a small dining table decorated with various plates, cups, and an assortment of silverware. Steven was eagerly telling you all about the things that'd happened ever since you left back home. Many of these things you didn't understand much, yet you had a feeling that this was somehow connected with what Pearl had been wanting to explain to you after you arrived at this place.

     Pearl took notice of your confusion over certain topics the boy spoke of, and as a consequence, she decided to invite you over to the nearby beach to speak about it once the get together came to an end.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

     The both of you sat down on the sandy flooring, her previously cheerful demeanor now replaced by worry and hesitation. A cool, salty wind blew close by, contrasting with the heat of the leftover rays left behind by the sun. The ocean's large waves crashing rhythmically against the sand brought calm over your mind, but this didn't seem to have much of an effect over Pearl. She remained tense and shifty, hesitating more and more over what to say.

     "(Y/N). . . I didn't want to surface this matter as quickly as this, but seeing as you're not going to be staying here for long. . ." She paused for a brief moment, a strained smile forcing itself over her face. "I guess I have to make change in plans."

     She made sure you were facing her eyes, and once you did so, she carried on with her words.

     "During the time you were absent on our lives, a great amount of incidents have transpired among us. . . The 'Rubies' Steven told you about earlier were trying to attack us, and the baseball competition we held was only a method of distraction then. We were trying to make them leave the farm, though the plan didn't go too well."