Act 6: Her Preoccupation

Quick A/N:

Hello! I would like to apologize for not updating these last two weeks. I've been working on my study schedule and visiting my cousins ever since vacation ended, so I've been more on-and-off on Wattpad than usual.

Updates will still continue to be on Mondays, however. So, without any further delay, I hope you enjoy and see you next week!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

     Garnet pushed open the door belonging to the worn out barn, a low creak emerging from the wood until she finished with that action. She later gestured with her hand for you and the Gems to enter the premises, her lips shaped into a tight line as she witnessed the ruby gemstone in Pearl's hold shake twice. Steven quickly went over to her side once he noticed those movements. With the help of his powers, he bubbled the Ruby, preventing her from taking any sort of abrupt movement while the others dealt with explaining the situation to the residents of the barn.

     The two familiar figures belonging to Lapis and Peridot made themselves apparent over your vision, courtesy of the noise your entrance had made. The green-toned Gem  ran enthusiastically towards you and the others; the blue one simply waved hello, a small grin present as she did so.

     "What brings you here, (Y/N)?" Peridot inquired, an amiable tone present over her words. "It certainly has been a while since we last got to see each other!"

     "We, uh, actually came here for somethin' important." Amethyst intervened, an apologetic expression visible on her features as she glanced a look towards you.

     Pearl caught on to her words, quickly approaching Peridot's side and handing her the bubbled gemstone. The green Gem eyed it curiously, her hand taking hold of it with great caution.

     "Is this. . . one of those Rubies that infiltrated this barn?"

     "Yeah." You muttered, placing a hand over the back of your neck in uncertainty. "I had a bit of a. . . fight with her, and now she won't calm down."

     "So you want us to deal with her now?" Lapis interrogated, the pace of her intervention and tone of her voice leading you to notice her annoyance.

     The Gems nodded at that question before you had the chance to respond, making the blue Gem sigh and place a hand over her forehead in what you labeled as frustration.

     "You know what happened with Navy." She continued, this time crossing her arms over her chest.

     "That doesn't assure this Ruby will be the same as her." Garnet chimed in, her voice leaning more towards the defensive side as she gestured for Peridot to keep the gemstone in her hold.

     Lapis remained quiet for a short while, inspecting both you and your companions from head to toe. Then, she centered her eyes on Garnet, her distrustful expression faltering slightly as she processed her earlier words.

     With visible reluctance, she went over to Peridot's side, inspecting the inactive Gem with narrowed eyes and a pensive frown. It took her a while to finish with those actions, the time spent on this readying her next statement.

     "We'll give it a shot." She heaved out a breath, allowing her muscles to loosen up and her mind to relax as she did so. "Just let Peridot try first."

     Steven went to her side in order to speak with her, whereas Peridot and you smiled gratuitously at her response. Having planned out what to do in terms of interrogating the Ruby, you were able to exit the barn and converse about other topics, the chance of atmosphere proving to be refreshing the further time you spent next to the unoccupied Gems.