Here's a Toast to the Lucky Ones

“Don’t you dare touch me!” I yelled.

“Lina! Why are you so mad? I just came to talk to you. I’m not mad--” I cut him off.

“OH! You’re not mad. Ha! That’s all that matters right? You’re not mad. Good for you. I’m not mad either. I should have seen this coming. I was a fool. I knew you were never over Amy. I’m a fool. I’m such a god damn fool.” I started to cry. I cried so hard it hurt.

“Lina, what the heck are you talking about?” Brooks asked.

“You’re frickin stupid. I absolutely hate you. Look at my ribs.” I pulled my shirt to show him the bruises. “I go through this shit just to find out you’re cheating on me. And now you’re gonna be a dad. Your baby’s mom ran me over just to tell me you got her pregnant. Then a good friend, who happens to be in the hospital right now, pulled me out of the ditch and brought me home. I deserve something so much better than this. I heard the things you said.” I started to choke on my words. I felt like I was going to puke so I ran to the bathroom. Brooks followed me. I gagged but nothing came out. I stood up and looked at Brooks with a blank face. “Get out.” I pointed to the door.

“Lina. If Amy is pregnant, it is not my child. We haven’t had sex in over two years. She’s psycho, Lina. You can’t--” I cut him off again.

“If you ‘loved’ me, you would leave me. I’m not happy with you, and I never will be. GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY LIFE!” I screamed.

Brooks’ eyes filled with tears.

“Lina, I promise you, it’s all a misunderstanding.” Brooks said while crying into his hands.

“GET OUT! I SAID GET OUT!” I started hitting his chest with my fists. I was crying so hard, I couldn’t speak. “We’re done Brooks. Let me go.” I said softer.

Brooks took one last step out of my room. I saw him wipe his last tears. I then slammed the door on his face. I slammed the door on our relationship. That was that.

***

I spent numerous nights at Elaine’s house. Luke was getting better but I noticed Elaine hadn’t been talking about him.

“So how’s Luke been?” I asked.

“I haven’t seen him since the day you told me to go see him.” Elaine answered. I could tell she was holding something back.

“Elaine, I told you everything about Brooks and I. I just want to know about you, Elaine. I want to know if you’re okay.” I said holding her hand.

She pulled her hand away. “You didn’t tell me what happened after you got hit by Amy.”

“I--” Elaine cut me off.

“Luke told me. He told me he kissed you. He told me you didn’t wake up when he was yelling for your help when he fell from your window.” Elaine started to cry. I started to cry as well. I had no idea. “He got in his car and tried to drive home but he got in an accident because he had a horrible concussion.” I cried harder. I felt horrible. It was all my fault. Everything. “It’s not your fault, Lina. I know you think that. Luke made sure you were asleep when he left. You’re a heavy sleeper. I’m just happy he’s alive.”

I was crying so hard again. She was holding me in her arms.

“He said he still loves you. But he’s been working on getting over you.” Elaine said with tears in her eyes.

“I know how much you like him Elaine. I’ll make sure he gets over me. But I need to go see him and apologize. Is that okay, Elaine?” I asked hoping she wouldn’t be mad at me.

“Yes, Lina.”

I left Elaine’s house. This week had been full of horrible events. I was still in pain and my bruises weren’t going away.

When I got to the hospital I found Luke’s room. He was reading a sports magazine. He looked very healthy. I knocked on the door. When Luke looked up at me his lips formed a smile.

“Come in.” He said smiling.

“Luke, I can’t stay long. I told Elaine that I would make sure you got over me, even though I’m not with Brooks anymore.” I was talking fast and I couldn’t stop. Something was going wrong. “I’ve hurt too many people and I’ve been hurt, but I sure as hell refuse to hurt my best friend. Even if you don’t love her you need to get over me because I promised--”

I stopped talking and fell to the floor.

I know it’s been sooooo long but I hope you are all still interested.

There will probably be at most four more chapters! If you guys are interested in a second story please shoot me some ideas!

Thanks for reading!

Love you!

Cali <3