12 Through 15

After school I rushed to the hospital. I left everything behind, including my homework. Ever since I met Brooks my grades had been getting lower and lower. I had two weeks left of school to get them to my parents’ requirements.

I found the room Luke was in. I couldn’t get the strength to go in. Actually, I’m pretty sure I wasn’t even allowed in there.

“Who are you?” An African American nurse asked me. I didn’t answer. I kept looking through the window. “Ma’am, who are you? You can’t be here if you aren’t related.” I snapped out of it.

“I’m a cousin.” I replied with no emotion. She walked away. My phone buzzed. I looked down at my phone and saw a message from Brooks. I was so shocked he even texted me.

The message said: I want to talk to you.

That was it. I deleted it. I was far too embarrassed and angry to talk to him right now. Too many emotions and I couldn’t even think of words to describe what I was feeling. I felt wrong for everything I have done, not just to Brooks, but everyone. I was also angry with Brooks and Amy. How could Brooks let something like that happen? I thought all this time, he loved me.

I watched Luke lay on his hospital bed. He was motionless. The only other person in the room was his mom. I had recognized her from after school activities. She held onto his hand crying.

I was looking into the window of the room. I didn’t even notice Luke’s mom walking towards the window. I turned my head quickly hoping she wouldn’t think I was a creep. I stood up to walk away but then she opened the door.

“Excuse me. Are you a friend of Luke’s?” His mother asked as I was walking away frantically.

I stopped and turned around to answer. “Yes, I saw him last night. He helped me.” I pulled up my shirt enough to show her my bruises. Her jaw dropped.

“My God. Where was he going? Why were you out so late?” She asked with a sound of fear in her voice.

“My story is complicated. Luke never told me anything about where he was going. He brought me home and left. I had no idea. Your son saved me. I’m grateful that he is alive. Good luck ma’am. Luke is a great boy. Take care of him.” I told her as I walked away towards the cafeteria of the hospital.

His mom never replied but I knew she understood.

As I walked into the cafeteria I saw a big red thing of hair sitting at a corner table all alone. I knew it was Elaine.

“Elaine, oh my God, where the hell have you been?” I ran up to her.

“Lina…oh…hi.” She was startled and flustered with my presence.

“Elaine, I’m so sorry that I haven’t been here for you, but you need to tell me what’s been going on. One day you’re talking to me like a great friend and then the next day you’re not even showing up to school.” I explained frantically.

“Truth is, things have changed. I’m so sorry I haven’t been there for you either.” Elaine said quietly.

“Elaine, why the heck are you here?” I asked knowing she’d probably have the same question for me.

“Lina, I have to tell you something, and I’m sorry I didn’t tell you before. Luke and I started hanging out. I knew he liked me but he never told me. I asked him last night. He told me he liked me. He also told me, he liked someone else. No, he didn’t like someone else, he loved someone else. That hurt me. I’d never been so heart broken. He never told me who it was. No name. Nothing. I told him he had to leave. He left my house a different person then when he came. He was not himself. When I woke up, his mom had left me a voicemail and I came right to the hospital. I haven’t been able to show my face.” Elaine explained.

My heart dropped. It was me. I caused all of Elaine’s pain. I caused all of Luke’s pain. I was the center of all the pain.

“Elaine, Luke is just fine. He was given a second chance. Maybe this will make him realize how much he loves you. Go see him. Let your beautiful face be the first face he sees when he wakes up. Even if he doesn’t love the most beautiful girl on the planet, just know that there will always be someone more right for you than he ever was.” I tried to give her the best advice I could.

“Thank you Lina. I’ll go see him now. I love you, best friend.”

“I love you too, Elaine.”

She ran off and my only place to go was home.

I slowly walked into my house. I felt myself gag as I heard the sound of Brooks guitar. I wanted to vomit. So I did.

I stuck two fingers down my throat and felt all my emotions wash out of my mouth into the toilet. I had read stories about girls being bulimic and the way they explained the feeling was way better to read than actually forcing yourself to throw up. I had hit rock bottom. I knew I was bulimic and I knew I never wanted to be. I told myself the next time I threw up was if I had the flu. I promised myself.

For the next three hours I sat in my room hoping Brooks wouldn’t realize I was home. I was hoping he wouldn’t be willing to speak to me. The pain in my ribs was killing me and it was time for some Advil. The Advil knocked me out within the next twenty minutes. There was only one thing, and one thing only that would ever get me to wake up. You all know who that is.

There it is! :) 

I hope you all enjoyed that chapter. I'm a senior in high school now so things have been busy and that's why I haven't been able to update in like forever. I'm sorry for the break and all the time I made you all wait. You know I've loved all of the comments everyone has been leaving me. It's those comments that really make me want to keep writing. I hope you all enjoyed...I know I said that already, but I just really want you all to keep reading. So PLEASE COMMENT. OR ELSE I'M GONNA STOP WRITING. And I know some of you wouldn't enjoy that. But thanks for hanging in there (for those of you that have). I really truly have crushes on all of you readers! ;) 

-Cali <3

BTW: Who's all listened to and bought the knew album?! I HAVE!!! Love you!