Chapter 3

3rd part.

Thank you for reading x
...

I rested my head back against the wall, letting out a breath I had held in for concentration. I had been desperately trying to comprehend the conversation that was taking place behind the large door in front of me, but all I could hear was soft mumbles.

"Maybe if I moved closer, I could hear them" I thought, at the same time, edging forward. I crouched and peered through the small gap, into the room. I was only able to see Shadow Guy's back and the faded gold floor. He was the one talking at that moment, though I could only hear parts of his utterances.

"I found her and she was... she looks... I don't know her name."

I gritted my teeth, moving my face closer to the gap.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DON'T KNOW HER NAME?! IS THIS SOME KIND OF JOKE?!" the woman screamed from inside, causing me to jump back in shock and tumble onto the floor.

And then, to my dismay, the door flew open and Shadow Guy stepped out into the corridor. "You can stay there on the floor or go inside... she's ready to see you" he said, closing the door behind him swiftly, so the Hogake was unable to see the surprised state I was in.

I quickly got up, pulling the strap of my bag-pack around my shoulder again. I hoped the embarrassment I felt wasn't showing on my face. "And make sure to tell her your name" Shadow Guy added, shoving his hands into his pockets before leaning against the wall, to the right of the door.

I nodded and wrapped my hand around the door handle, but before pushing it open, I turned my head to face the male shinobi. "Hachi" I said softly, the corners of my mouth extending to form a small smile. Shadow Guy furrowed his brows, looking confused.

"That's my name, Hachi, and no need for any honorific... since you uhm... seem to be the same age as me" I mumbled.

Shadow Guy smirked and dipped his head. "Good to know." 

Ignoring the slight annoyance I felt at Shadow Guy for not responding with his own name, I turned back to the door. "Here goes nothing" I thought.

....

I stood there, gazing at the Hokage while she scanned through multiple files.

The Hokage was young and  had blonde hair and blue eyes. She had a slim yet curvaceous frame, and wore a green robe, and underneath, was grey, sleeveless kimono-style blouse. The blouse was held closed by a dark blue-grey obi that was the same colour as her pants. Pink, lush lipstick was applied neatly to her lips, and her blouse was closed quite low, revealing her sizeable cleavage.

My mother had told me that a new Hokage had been appointed from the last time she was at the village, though she was not sure why and who it was. I suddenly felt a little homesick, wanting to go back home and tell my parents about the new Hokage and about how big Konoha was, and my encounter with a tired and witty shinobi. 

But it was something I could not do until I found out the truth. I had told the new Hokage about my upbringing, about the day I had found out about my adoption and about my plans in Konoha. After that, she had stood up and had walked over to a filing cabinet, taking out some files before returning to her desk.

I did not know if she was ignoring me, or if she really was just busy. "But the girl from before said that she was taking a break" I thought, staring suspiciously at the blonde woman in front of me.

"Your mother and father had asked the previous Hokage for permission to stay here, yes?" the Hokage suddenly said. Automatically, my eyes widened at the sound of her booming voice and I nodded quickly. 

"Hai."

"Well I'm sorry to say that he is no more. He sacrificed his life for the sake of our village" she revealed, looking up from her files. I stared back, uncertain of how to respond.

"I'm... sorry for your loss."

The Hokage picked up the files in her hand, stood up and walked around her desk to rest upon it. "You don't need to apologise, not like you were the one behind it. Anyway, these files I have in my hand show a list of new-borns the year your adoptive mother had a miscarriage. But I can't say for sure they're going to help. Did your adoptive mother tell you anything about the girl who visited her in hospital?"

I stood there for a moment, thinking back to everything my mother had told me. "Sh-She told me that the girl was very young. She looked around 17 to 18, but she could be younger, and she had black hair and dark brown eyes" I shared, my hands forming into closed fists against my thighs.

The Hokage raised her brows. "Well if she's all alive and well today, she should be in her 30s" the Hokage said, making it unclear if she was talking to me, or herself. All of a sudden, I heard the door open from behind me.

"Shishou, I gave the repor.. oh. I'm sorry, I thought you were on break."

 It was the pinkette from before.

"Sakura!" the Hokage shouted, slamming a hand down on her desk. "I need you to take these files and narrow down the search for a woman. She's now in her thirties and must have had either a close friend or relative pass away after giving birth. Physical feature include black hair and dark brown eyes. When you find all the women who match these descriptions, bring me any information you have on them immediately!" the Hokage finished, placing the files she had in her hand on her desk, before running towards a cabinet at the back of the room.

I stared at the pinkette, who sighed lifelessly. It was clear that she often had to endure a heavy workload. I watched as she walked over to the desk to pick up the files. She gave me a small smile of reassurance before walking out of the room.

I turned my attention back to the Hokage, who was looking through file after file. Papers started to shoot out of her hands, and they would glide through the air and eventually fall to the floor; she was making a lot of mess. 

 "Should... I leave, Hokage-same?" I asked the blonde woman, tilting my head to the side.

"Yes, please wait outside... where is it?! " she shouted, half-running, half-walking to the cabinets located towards the right side of the room.

I bowed my head in respect to the Hokage, before turning on my heels and walking towards my exit. I knew that I had to leave this part of my journey to the Hokage. It was a task I didn't have the resources to do, but I was full of faith; the previous Hokage had showered my parents with kindness, and I was sure that the new Hokage would do the same for me.

I opened the door and stepped out the room, closing it behind me. It had been a long day but I finally felt like I was getting closer to the truth. 

"Did you tell her your name?" I heard someone say from beside me. I turned my head and found Shadow Guy still positioned against the wall.

I nodded. "Yes... the Hokage is very enthusiastic" I pointed out. Shadow Guy removed himself from the wall and scratched the back of his head. "Even with that troublesome personality of hers, she does everything she can for those in need of help."

 I smiled and nodded appreciatively.

"Shikamaru, by the way" Shadow Guy added, and his lips formed into a droopy smile. I furrowed my brows, not understanding what he meant. 

"That's my name, Shikamaru. No need for honorifics, but I really hate nicknames" he repeated. 

I couldn't help but smile. "Good to know" I replied.

...

Shikamaru: "Here goes nothing"?

Me: Sounds odd but eh... I like your hair btw.

Shikamaru: ...

Me: Can I touch it?

Shikamaru: No.

Me: Please?

Shikamaru: No.

Me: Please?

Shikamaru: No.

Me: Vote. Comment. Fan if you want tooooo. AND HAPPY READING! x Please?

Shikamaru: NO!

xx