Chapter 7: part II

Part II of chapter 7 completed!

Enjoy!

(I do not own Naruto or any of its characters, Kishimoto does. I only own my OC and the villians in this chapter)

---

The intense light swallowed me in and as I stood in the room, but what I had found was not what I expected. There was no sign of breaking in, no injured Shikamaru and no imminent danger. The only thing that looked out of place was the scroll that lay sprawled across the double bed. There were also a pair of dark blue pillows on the bed, piled on top of each other with the covers thrown messily to the side.

I assumed that Shikamaru had been reading the scroll while laying comfortably in bed, yet there was no sign of him. I checked the bathroom just to be sure, but he wasn't there either.

I strolled to the double bed and reached for the abandoned scroll, gently picking it up before sitting down. I began to delicately examine the scroll. It was a deep-green and pasted on the thin material were small, golden dragons, with scaly faces and ferocious smiles. I turned the scroll around, Japanese characters that were just about understandable filled the parchment paper, along with a few odd drops and scribbles. It was like a cluster of ink.

I began closing the scroll, not intending to read it. But my eyes caught one, bold word, scribbled messily on to the paper. "Hachi".

I furrowed my brows in confusion, while bringing the scroll closer towards my face. I hadn't made an error. Although it was a puddle of ink, the strokes of my name emerged like ripples in water. And my name wasn't jut written once.

"You will be responsible for Hachi... You will support Hachi throughout her stay in Konoha... You will give Hachi no room for complaint..."

I beamed gratefully at the stylish strokes of the Lady Hokage's signature, which floated near the circular mark of a vibrant, red stamp. I began to read the inky words that I hadn't yet read, but those words revealed that I had only read one side, and there was something stronger, more serious about the letter.

"At times, her story does not add up. If she were to be a threat to Konoha, you will once again take responsibility and deal with her. I give you permission to take her life, if need be."

I threw the scroll back on to the bed with a frown. I stood up, my heart suddenly starting to beat fast. I felt the dryness of my throat. I felt the tears welling up.

Her words came back to me, to remind me that this was what I should have expected.

"From the beginning, I said she's a bad omen to this family. But no one listens to crazy old Aunt Clessen, do they? And now look at what this vile girl has gone and done. She's vermin! Keep her away from my nephew or I'll kill her."

My lips quivered into a small smile and I held back my tears. Her each and every word hurt and burned me, but they weren't as powerful as the words he had spoken. Those words ruined me and killed me inside the more I remembered them.

I felt foolish at how I had thought things would change, that I would find the person who could help me find real acceptance, who could help me belong somewhere again, but instead, I was seen as a threat, just like in the Land of Iron, a place I was not allowed to call home.

I breathed out and with a wider smile, I decided to accept my cruel fate.

"You read the scroll?"

I turned towards the voice that had suddenly broke the spell of silence looming around me.

Shikamaru appeared, looking cool and composed. There was a mystical aura surrounding him, and I could only stare at him in reply. He was topless again, wearing only a pair of black shorts. This time, his hair was in a loose ponytail, and it reminded me of black silk as it rested on his shoulder and torso. His arms were folded, his right shoulder placed against the doorway to support his leaning body.