Sleepwalker

Chapter 6- Sleepwalker

i kicked my feet. the image of the shadow at my feet was at the end of the bed. i knew it was just my head. all in my head, but it felt so real. the shadow gripped my ankle, and pulled my at the end of my bed. i screamed, just to be hushed. i opened my eyes, and saw Adam next to me.

“you have too many bad dreams.” he said, again un-tangling the blankets at my feet. his brown eyes told me, he was half awake. half asleep. he would say anything. anything. “you know what i do when i can’t sleep?” he said, soothing my fears away.

“what?” i asked, with a sleepy tone, but yet. i felt wide awake.

“i take a walk.” he stood up, stretched, and groaned as his back creaked. “come on.” he pulled me out of my bed, and lead me out my bedroom door.

“who! who!” the owl cried, as we passed him.

“well be back in a little bit who. your in charge.” Adam said, pointing at the owl. as if agreeing, the bird nodded his head.

Adam and i walked out, into the beautiful morning sun. just rising over the old barn’s, and the huddles of trees. i breathed in the sweet summer hair. chilling, but nice. still late out, but no sign that the sun knew that yet. we walked down the road, as the trees swayed back and forth. no cars passed, on this quiet and peaceful road, and thats how i like it.

“Adam. the morning air is a beauty.” i told him, and Adam turned to me, and nodded his head. his face didn’t seem so sleepy, but his eyes told different. after moments of quiet walking down the road, i heard Adam say something under his breath.

You and me thick as thieves,

Parachute like falling leaves.

A million miles can not divide,

My heart from yours and yours from mine.

 When the space gets longer,

The stars get stronger.

If we ever get lost, we can find a way, we can find a way.

There's not a road that I wouldn't ponder

Ponder.

Ponder.

Ponder.” Adam said, under his breath, making the sweet words curl around my head. how can one man be so sweet? plus with such sweet words?

“Adam?” i asked, and he turned his head over to me. “why do you always sing, but yet when i want to know more about it, you run away. and you make me forget about it.” i asked. i knew he would answer, since he might as well as be sleep walking and talking.

he wasn’t sleep talking now. he wasn’t even talking. like he was trying to run from the question. or just making me forget about it.

i yawned, and Adam saw that as a chance to escape.

“you tired?” he asked, stopping us from going any further.

“a little. but Adam-” he stopped me from talking, by taking my hand, and bringing me back to the house. when we were inside, Adam went and fed who. “Adam. please answer.” i told him, not wanting to raise my voice.

“can i answer you in the morning?” he asked, turning to me, while holding the owl’s food.

“fine. but, i expect an answer. no stalling.” i pointed my finger to him, and walked off to my room. i yawned, and crawled into my bed. happy to feel my pillow against my ear. but i couldn’t sleep. i closed my eyes, and felt like i wanted to go to sleep. like i want to stay in bed all day. but something stopped me. something kept me from my dreams. my dreams. more like nightmares. was that it? i didn’t even feel safe in my own bed? i couldn’t feel protective in the house i lived in? i pulled my blankets closer, almost as if a cocoon for a butterfly. then, i felt like someone was watching me from my door way. “Adam?” i asked.

“can’t sleep?” was his one and only call back to me.

“no. i feel tired, but not safe.” i said, still not facing to the door.

“what would you like, to help you fall asleep.”

“a...” i had something on my mind, but i knew i would be crazy to ask.

“anything.” he said, leaning in the doorway.

“a...hug?” i asked, in a soft mutter. beneath my blankets, i was pinching myself, as if punishing myself for saying that. Adam went closer to me, laid next to me, laying his arm across me and pulling me closer to him. i pulled the blanket over Adam, and felt his breath on the back of my neck. it felt warm, but yet sent shivers down my spine.

Can't got to sleep with you by my side.

I turn the light on when I see a trace of my pillow talker.

Without you I’m just a Sleepwalker.

I don't know where I am,

I'm falling down the stairs.

I'm looking everywhere 

Everywhere.

Up all night,

I'd be a goner.

Without you I’m just a Sleepwalker.” Adam said, with a sleepy voice. was he falling asleep? i closed my eyes, and hung onto the arm around me. his grip kept me close, and gave me a small feeling of safety. 

“goodnight. Annmarie” wait, what did her just call me? i was too tired to think about it. i was sent off to a dream land, with the beauty of the singing voice, and someone named Annmarie.