early birdie

chapter 2-early birdie

when i woke up, the moon was still out, and so were most of the stars. i sat up and yawned. i wasn’t tired, i never felt so awake. i poked my head outside, and saw Adam, sitting, watching the stars. he was singing something, but i couldn’t tell what it was. i climbed out of bed, slipped my shoe’s on and headed out the front door to Adam.

i stayed at the conner, watching Adam sing to himself, not knowing i was there.

So many sights to see so wake up like an early birdie

And we'll get a head start on the day

Stained-glass skyway’s and crowded 6 lane highways

If I look back when I begin to leave, will they remember me?” he song. it was lovely. perfect. no! better then perfect, better then lovely. how could my words describe it?

“that was beautiful. where’d you hear that?” i asked. Adam turned at my words, and smiled.

“no where important.” he answered. i didn’t like that answer.

“no, really. where did you hear it? its a cool song.”

“really?”

“yeah, but thats coming from a girl with no memory.” Adam laughed, and went back to watching the moon. i sat down next to him, and looked at the moon too.

“so, what are you doing up this late?” Adam asked me. he wore a brown jacket, jeans, and slippers.

“i woke up, and couldn’t fall back asleep. i just have to much on my mind.”

“yeah. me to.”

“well, you hang out with an owl, so you kind of have to be up all night.” Adam laughed again.

“hey, who gets more sleep then me at night!” Adam cried. after the moments of silence, owls flew by, creating shadows flying passed the moon.

“talk about owl city.” Adam looked at me, and laughed. “what?” i cried.

“nothing.” he shook his head, still laughing. i play punched him in his arm, and he punched me back.

“it’s not nice to hit a girl!” i whinnied, with a faint cry in my voice.

“i’m sorry.” he said, rubbing my arm, in the spot he hit.

“it’s OK.” i felt goose bumps run up and down my arms, as he touched me. his touch was so gentle, and so kind. he couldn’t hurt a fly if he wanted to. Adam must have saw me shiver.

“you cold?” he asked. i shook my head no, but he slipped off his jacket and put it around me, and rubbed my back. Adam laughed at the sight of my shivering. but, i wasn’t cold. anything but. 

while watching the moon and the birds, i laid myself down and closed my eyes. Adam must have fell asleep, because i heard him begin to speak to himself.

On crystal sand, we sleep hand-in-hand

While soothing words hover like hummingbirds” he whispered to himself.

“Adam?” i called.

“yes Jeannine?” Adam called back to me.

“what were you just singing?” i peeked open my eyes, and looked at him. but, quickly looked away, when he glanced back over to me.

“you know. Jeannie. i think you don’t know who you are. but people around the town might know who you are. i was wondering if you wanted to go to the town tomorrow, and see if some people may know who you are.” Adam said. “you want to go tomorrow?”

“sure.” the thought of me going out with Adam. by myself. with Adam. alone. with Adam. Adam? Adam what? what’s his last name? “hey Adam. what’s your last name?” i asked. i looked over to him, and saw him sound asleep.  “Adam?” i cried. 

“yea?” he asked in a sleepy tone.

“Adam. stand up.” i stood myself up, as he did, and slid his arm over my shoulder. i brought him inside, and let him fall on the couch. i shut the front door, and was about to walk to my room, but a voice called me.

“Jeannine.” Adam called. i turned to him, and saw him with sleepy face.

“yes Adam?” i asked.

“come here.” i came closer to him, and leaned on the ground, so i was right by his side. my face was so close to his. he leaned his lips close to my ear. “sweet dreams.” he gently kissed my ear, and soon he began to snore away.

wait? did he just kiss me?!? Adam. Adam. i don’t know his last name. what could it have been? Adam Minton? no. Adam Visch? no. Adam Young? no. Adam Hime? no. i wandered off back to my room, thinking about Adam’s lips against my ear. the light hair on his cheeks and chin. his dreamy eyes...

instead of wandering to my room, i went to the bathroom, and sprayed some water in my face, trying to get the thought of Adam from my brain. i looked at myself in the mirror. 

no! it was probably just the sleep talking. probably just feeling sorry for me, that i didn’t know who i was. 

in the mirror, i saw my brownish red hair. i hadn’t noticed it before, but my hair was a curly mess. i rolled up my sleeves’ and splashed some cold water into my face. 

as i wiped the water, now dripping from my hair away with a towel, i looked on my arms. there sat red cuts, that had been treated. probably Adam. he probably treated the wounds. but where did i get them from? i shut off the bathroom light, and went back to my room. i crawled in bed, and listened to the beating of my heart, as i thought about the song again. what was it? what was it called? who had created the smooth words? who?

You'd think me rude

But I would just stand and stare