Once More

ONCE MORE

(Violet’s P.O.V.)

                I quickly ran my hands over my hair in hopes to control whatever mess it was in. My wrist was instantly tugged by a cord, reminding me I was in a hospital.  I opened my mouth to speak, but was only set up for failure, as I was reminded Daniel destroyed my voice.

                Mr. McCarthy walked over to my side and sat down in the mushy green chair next to me. I now noticed he held a bouquet of random flowers as he handed them towards me. I took them, not wanting to seem rude, but I honestly didn’t want anything from him. He saved my life.

                “Wow, Violet, I know they aren’t roses but you don’t have looked at them like that,” Mr. McCarthy brought his hand to his chest and put on fake offended look. I could only smile. I could only smile. I could only smile. Why can’t I talk? I felt weak. I was weak.

                My smile disappeared quickly and turned in to a frown.

(Elliott’s P.O.V)

                It was official. She wasn’t the same. She couldn’t fight back. She couldn’t say a cruel comeback as I mocked her.

                A tear fell from her eyes. She looked at me and I felt guilt once more. I should have been faster. I brought my hand to her cheek and wiped the second tear which fell from her sorrow eyes. She closed her eyes and leaned into my touch. I wanted to comfort her now, but that would be wrong. Though, no one was looking…. I quickly pulled her into a hug. Her small arms found their way around my waist. More tears had fallen and my chest, where she laid her head began to wet.  

                She pulled out of my arms, her face still sober with stained red cheeks.

                “Violet,” I said, “I’m so sorry.” She shook her head at my words. I didn’t pity her, I was truly sorry. I blamed myself for her injury, but I couldn’t tell her that. Even though she couldn’t fight back and say it wasn’t, I would still feel that it was.

                “I have to go,” I spoke slowly, “ I will visit soon, though, I promise.”

                Two days later and she was back at school. I did as I promised, I visited her. There was zero improvement in her condition, of course, but she found a new way of communicating. I had brought my sketch pad yesterday. I wanted to bring it for use of entertainment, but she found a new use.

                I was sketching the window to look like a jail, when she took it out of my hands and wrote ‘thank you’ at the top. I had looked at her confused. Then she took it back and wrote ‘for saving my life’.  I had given her my faulty smile and told her it was my pleasure to save such a lovely damsel in distress.  Though she wouldn’t have been here if… I told Alex of her new revelation. He of course reminded me of our deal. I told him that I couldn’t go through it. I couldn’t break her heart and I wouldn’t live if she broke mine.

                I walked over to Violet’s table. She sat by herself in the corner of the room sketching once more a broken heart.  I still haven’t found out the reason for the first one, but I have an idea why the new one. I sat down next to her and placed my sketch pad in front of me. She didn’t bother to look up. I wanted her attention though; I wanted her to see what I was working on.

                “You still have detention, by the way. Voice or no voice, I still expect you to serve it,” She looked up at me now.  She grabbed my pad and opened to the first page. Well I got what I was hoping for, but she opened the wrong page.

(Violet’s P.O.V.)

                I stared down at me…or what looked like me. In a charcoal color, I was back in my Goth attire and wore s sad smirk. WHEN DID HE DRAW THIS?

                I looked up at him confused and in hope for an answer. His face and tip of the ears turned red.

                “Um, I drew that at your first detention. I was bored and you were there…so yeah,” I nodded my head slowly and handed it back to him. I wrote on the top of my paper with the black marker I still held on to ‘Why must I still have detention?”

                Instead of replying with his voice, he took the pencil he had behind his ear and wrote on my paper, ‘Your last one was cancelled.’

                I nodded my head once more and went back to my heart, adding as much black as possible. Any other colors just didn’t seem to fit. Even now as I wore a pick dress I had to stop myself from putting on black once more, though I obviously feared Haley more than the want of the dark color.

                The bell suddenly rang and I went to my next class period. A sudden shiver of fear ran down my spine as I got up. I looked down at Mr. McCarthy hopelessly and he raised an eyebrow. I had no idea if Daniel was ever discovered as the culprit and I was afraid to find out now. I shook my head once more and waved goodbye.

                I didn’t bother to go to my locker. I didn’t bother to go to study hall. Instead I walked with much haste to a random closet. Once I knew no one was looking I swiftly went inside. I looked around to see I was in a storage room filled with random text books. I sat down on a pile and looked at the heart I brought with me. Maybe there was too much black or maybe not enough. I decided on the later and tore it up anyways. It looked better this way; all broken.

                Tears I had been holding in since the first time Mr. McCarthy had left me at the hospital decided to explode now. My make up was going to be ruined but I didn’t care. I slowly slid to the floor as the sobs ran through me. Eventually I cried myself into some much needed sleep.

                I was awoken by a bell. I pulled my phone out of my backpack and saw it was the end of sixth. I missed lunch…poo.

                I got up and whipped my now dried eyes. Slowly I walked out of the closet. No one looked. I wondered if this was a normal thing for people to see; a girl walking out of a random closet at school after missing for all day.

                With my head down I made my way back to art and sat down in front waiting for Mr. to return.

                “Violet,” I looked up to see him dress differently from this morning. Instead of his ripped jeans and white button up shirt, he wore a red one and dress pants.

                “I am sorry, but I have to cancel your detention again,” I looked at him confused.

                So he continued, “I have a date and she will be very upset is she finds out I have forgotten.”