Mute ( unedited)

Mute

(Elliott's P.O.V.)

I paced my room multiple times, still nowhere near calm.

"Why didn't we run faster? We were both in track for fucks sake!"

"She is going to be alright," Alex knew he was lying to himself. They should have been there faster, they could have saved her. God, help me, if she doesn’t come out of that freakin coma!

"It’s my entire fault," I finally sat down next to my brother on my bed, “I shouldn't have let her go early. If I made her serve dentition like how she was supposing to, she would be ok, instead of in the hospital, not waking."

"Don't say that," Alex said fiercely, “neither of us knew that, that was going to happen." I knew he meant that for me, but he said it for himself too.

--------------------------------- 

I didn't get any sleep that night. I couldn't get the image of Violet out of my head. Images of her neck bleeding, her big green eyes filled with tears looking at me for help, of her in the hospital with the stitches running down her neck, and her just lying in a casket ( I know that didn't happen, but the image still stuck in my head as if it did).

It's only been few days and yet, this girl has taking over my life.

The sun beamed threw my shutters. There was no way in he'll I was going to be able to sit threw a single class without somehow destroying my reputation and job. So I got up and did the honorable thing and called the school to tell them I was sick.

It rang once, and then Molly, the woman who worked at the front desk answered.

“Leon High School, home of the Leon lions." her high pitched voice was even more unbearable on the phone.

“Hello Molly, Its Elliott R... McCarthy, I am feeling ill today, so I won't be coming in. Do you mind telling Rocky and give him my apologies."

“Of course Elliott, feel better."

"Thank you Molly, bye." With that I hung up and slowly walked back to my room, with my phone still in hand.

--------------------------- 

I stayed in bed that entire day, not moving and obviously not caring. Alex stopped by, but left as soon as he came, fully aware that I wasn't in the mood to talk, but being the good brother he is, he tried his hardest to get me to understand it wasn't my fault.

The phone still in my hand being to ring. I looked at the screen to see it was Violet's dad. I told him to call me once she woke up or if she... if she dies. 

My heart stops as I push talk and bring the speaker up to my ear.

"Hello," the only word my body allows me to utter.

“Elliott," the man started, “She’s awake."

My heart starts again and I can't help but smile. Just as I was about to ask how she was, he begins again.

“There’s bad news though."

Of course there fucking! Why would God let the most perfect girl in the world remain just how she was? Why would he just let her live a normal life when it was so easy to mess it up?

“What’s the bad news?" I asked as comely as I could.

“The knife damaged her vocal cords. The doctors said she is going to be mute, but there is a very slim chance that she may be able to talk again. If she does though her voice won't be the same and it will be very difficult for her to speak," his voice cracks at the last word.

“How will she... Um... Communicate," I was having trouble forming my own words.

“Well our first option was sign language, but every time we bring it up she just shakes her head 'no' as if it were the last thing on Earth she wanted to do."

"That's odd." I stated.

“Indeed."

Then words made their way out of my mouth without my control, "can I see her?"

"Yes, please. Violet needs to see a familiar face that isn't mine or Haley's." I smiled at his words.

“Okay, I will be there around lunch time, if that's alright?"

(Violet's P.O.V.)

The nurse placed the lunch tray in front of me. That lady has got to be insane if she thinks I am going to eat now, even though I didn't eat this morning. I took the tray into my hands and threw it onto the floor. If I had my voice I would have yelled ' my fucking throat hurts, you evil bitch, now keep that thing you call food away from me. Never the less I couldn't yell, so instead I gave her a warning glare, but it didn't have its full effect because tears were beginning to form in my eyes.

I heard a slight knock on door and turned around to see my hero, Mr. McCarthy.

"Well that was very lady-like of you," he said, giving me a genuine smile and not one of those pity ones everyone else gives me. I couldn't help but to smile back, even though I probably looked like a hot mess.