Chapter Sixty-Four

Chapter Sixty-Four

"A hero? My daddy is a hero?" Jackson whispered with awe.

Sheriff Musgraves nodded with a wide grin. "That's right. Of course we can't broadcast it for the world to hear because bad men don't like heroes."

"Why did you 'rest him if he's a hero? Sheriffs 'rest bad men," Jackson stated, his little brow wrinkling up as he tried to solve the mystery.

Temperance snuggled closer to Tanner as she sat upon his lap on a soft leather sofa. She cared not if such behavior was proper in a lawman's office. All she knew was that she had her husband back and she was desperate to be near him and feel him holding her.

Sheriff Musgraves nodded sadly. "I'm sorry I had to do that and scare you and your mama. There were some people that wanted to hurt your papa so I had to put on a good show and make them think he was my prisoner."

"So my daddy isn't in trouble?" Jackson asked.

"No, son, I'm not in trouble," Tanner assured the boy.

"Good!" Jackson grabbed a lollipop from a jar on the desk and plopped it into his mouth. "Me and mommy needs him."

Temperance nodded because it was true. She needed this man. If that made her weak then she was a weak woman--but life simply wouldn't go on without Tanner.

Temperance was amazed at the gifts that Tanner had gotten for killing a man. Amazed and shocked and.... saddened. She was saddened. All these people in power who had known what Yancy was, had clearly bought wares off the man and had done nothing to stop the monster from committing the terrors he had continuing committing until Tanner had ended his life.

"Sheriff Musgraves, I don't want these gifts," Tanner stated, nodding toward the desk. "It don't feel right for taking money for killing a man and I sure as hell don't want money from dirty hands."

"Well, hell, Tanner! What am I supposed to do with all of it?" Sheriff Musgraves asked, eyeing the large box of assorted gifts.

Tanner shrugged, "You boys keep the cigars for yourselves. As far as the money goes, split that between the boarding house and the orphanage. I'm sure some drunkard in town will enjoy the whiskey and you can do whatever you please with the rest of it."

Sheriff Musgraves was clearly surprised. His dark eyes widened and he rubbed at his thick mustache. "Are you sure, Tanner? Maybe you should talk to your wife about it. They usually have the last say in these matters no matter what we men would rather have the world believe."

Tanner glanced at Temperance but she smiled and kissed his cheek. "I stand beside Tanner no matter what he chooses to do with the gifts and money. I think his ideas sounded very nice."

Sheriff Musgraves sighed and nodded. "I reckon I really can't blame you folks," he conceded.

"Daddy doesn't need all that," Jackson added, waving the hand that wasn't holding his lollipop toward the box. "I got a trophy and it's prettier than all that."

The adults laughed and Sheriff Musgraves winked at the boy. "You must be one heck of a horsemen, kid. I never have gotten a trophy."

"I am," Jackson replied nonchalantly.

Sheriff Musgraves slapped his knee and wiped at his teary eye as he tried to calm his laughter. "Well, folks, I believe that brings us to our last matter of business for the day."

"And what's that?" Tanner asked as Temperance watched Jackson hum and suck away on his lollipop while he kept his eyes on the hustle and bustle of the large police station.

"Could I convince you folks to spend one more night here in Savannah? Tomorrow morning, me and a group of my men, will accompany you back to your ranch and hang around up there for a few days until we're sure things have settled down."

Temperance stiffened and her hand automatically went to the locket Tanner had given her. "Do you really think we're in that much danger? Do you think they'll follow us home?"

Sheriff Musgraves gave her a comforting smile. "I'm not too awful worried about it, ma'am, but life has taught me that it never hurts to be a bit overcautious at times."

Tanner moved Temperance off his lap and stood up before helping her to stand as well. He held out his hand to the sheriff who found his feet as well. "Thank you for your help, Sheriff. We'll be happy to wait until tomorrow. I'm not too proud to accept a bit of help when it comes to keeping my family safe."

"Glad to hear it," Sheriff Musgraves grinned. "You got a real nice family."

"I know that," Tanner agreed while Temperance just smiled and ruffled Jackson's dark hair. "I'm gonna tell you something that's the damn truth so you better take what I say to heart," Tanner added. "You are the first lawman I've ever met who I felt deserves to wear that badge."

Sheriff Musgraves shook his hand and Temperance was certain she saw the big, tough lawman flush a little. "Thanks, Tanner. I'm glad to hear I've done something right."

***

Tanner held Temperance's body close to his that night and stroked her bare back with his fingertips as he listened to her steady breathing.

She was dreaming peacefully against his chest and Tanner was simply soaking in the contact and the closeness. He had truly thought he would never see her again. He had believed for sure that he'd be hanged or locked away from her and their son forever and that thought had terrified and paralyzed him.

Tanner couldn't live without her and he wasn't too proud to admit it. He needed her by his side and he needed their son. They kept the walls from closing in, kept the flashbacks at bay and kept his heart full of more happiness and joy than any one man deserved to have.

The Savannah streets were silent below and the warm night air blew in through the open window. The night sky was clear and full of stars and Tanner thanked each and every one of those stars for the life he now had. A life he never imagined possible when he'd been rotting away in that prison camp.

Temperance stirred in his arms and he kissed her red curls. She slid her fingers through the dusting of blond hair on his chest and kissed his shoulder. "Why aren't you sleeping?" she asked gently. "Is your side hurting? Do you need more pain medicine?"

Tanner smiled down at her and shook his head. "No, sweetheart. I was just thinking about how damn good life is these days, that's all."

"You were shot today and there's a bounty on your head," Temperance reminded him. "You would call that good?"

"I'm laying in a warm bed, the night is peaceful, our son is sleeping across the hall and you are lying in my arms. Hell yeah, I'd call that good."

Temperance kissed the bare skin of his shoulder again and Tanner couldn't suppress the groan that slipped from his mouth. She smiled and her green eyes sparkled with mischief. "Well, when you put it that way I'd have to agree that it's pretty good these days too."