Chapter Fifty-Five

Chapter Fifty-Five

"Really?!" Jackson bounced with excitement. "I can really ride my pony in the fair?!"

Tanner chuckled. "Well of course! That's what you've been practicing for isn't it? Now you better get on up to your room and have Sophia help you pack up some clothes. We're leaving in an hour."

Jackson let out a bark of laughter, turned on his heels and took off like a flash into the house. Tanner smiled as he watched his son disappear.

Life had never been better than it was right now. A couple of months had passed since Temperance had given herself to Tanner and the woman was completely unrecognizable now compared to the scared, skittish, withdrawn woman that his brother and Yancy had turned her into.

She laughed everyday and smiles were almost always on her face. She conducted business with clients without trembling with fear. She could be alone in the barns working with the other men on the ranch and carry on conversations instead of waiting on them to attack her. She ran and played with their son, she kissed Tanner whenever the mood struck her and they made love nearly every night....

There were still dreams and nightmares that woke both of them up covered in sweat and trembling some nights. There were days that memories haunted them both and in those moments they would simply find each other and they would sit quietly together and wait for the storm to pass--neither let the other face those moments alone.

And now Temperance was doing something that just four short months ago she had insisted she would not be able to do. She was going to go the state fair in Savannah with Tanner and Jackson. Wilma, Sophia, Millie and Sara were coming along as well.

Tanner was excited for the trip. He was excited to show Temperance some of the fun that the world had to offer. And he was excited to watch his son ride that pony of his. Storm was a good pony and Jackson was excellent with horses--even for a four year old. The boy was a natural born rider.

"Are we ready to go?" Temperance asked as she stepped outside with a suitcase in her hand.

Tanner stepped forward and took the heavy case from her, "What do you have in here?" he asked with a grin.

"Everything I'll need," Temperance replied with a smile. "Not all of us can live out of a burlap sack slung over our shoulder."

Tanner chuckled as he adjusted his sack of belongings on his shoulder. "Old habits," was all he said in response.

Temperance's lips danced across his jaw. "I love you, Tanner."

***

Savannah was a vaster city than any Temperance had ever seen before. People were bustling in all directions in their fancy silk dresses trimmed with lace and their large busy hats as well as their dapper suits and bowler hats. She even saw a man who appeared to be Tanner's age walking with a silver topped cane that glimmered in the sunlight--though the man didn't appear to have a limp so she assumed the cane was simply for show.

Despite the crowds that made her quite nervous, Temperance had to admit that this city was beautiful. Weeping Willow trees hung heavy and their long branches formed a draping canopy about them as they walked through the park. Benches adorned with ivy were the seats for lovers and businessmen alike as they sat lost in discussions.

"I love these flowers!" Sophia exclaimed as she breathed in the fragrance of purple lilacs. "We need to plant these at home!"

"Where's the fair?!" Jackson inquired impatiently as he hopped along leading Storm by the reigns.