Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

Temperance did not go to sleep even hours after darkness had fallen that night. She lay in her bed and stared at the closed door knowing that at any moment it would burst open and Trevor would be there.

Something told her that tonight was the night that he would come and she hadn't even touched the dinner that the colored servant who always fed her brought to her. Her stomach had still been rolling with the memories and images of that boy begging for his life before that bullet had taken it replaying themselves in her mind.

The colored woman's hands had been shaking and her face tear streaked when she'd brought the food to Temperance's room. She and Temperance had shared a sad gaze, both of them lamenting without words that the pain life had dealt them was unfair.

Temperance felt her heart thundering in her chest when footsteps sounded outside her door. She scurried as close to the headboard as she could get, wrapping her arms around her legs and pulling her knees into her chest.

The sound of a key in the lock echoed in the room just before the door opened and he stepped inside. Temperance watched him in the glow of the kerosene lamp. He closed the door behind him and his face was an unreadable mask.

Temperance knew what was expected of her. She should get from the bed and drop to her knees...if she didn't he would hurt her.

And so that's what she did.

Trevor chuckled and a cold smile curved his lips. "That's a good girl," he whispered.

Trevor stepped toward her and undid his trousers. When his long hard cock flopped out, Temperance felt her stomach turn but she did the only thing that she knew to do. She shut down her mind. She had learned during her time with Yancy and his friends that if she didn't think about what was happening--if she could simply find a way to turn off her thoughts-- she could make it through without breaking down.

Temperance closed her eyes when the hot tip pressed against her lips. She opened her mouth, felt his hands grip her red hair painfully and then found herself shoved down on that cock so deeply that she couldn't breathe at all.

Trevor used his hold on her hair to jerk her head back and forth roughly as his hips pounded against her. Temperance's throat burned and her jaws ached. She tried to think of something else--anything else. She thought back to her family cabin. She thought back to foggy mornings with her mother and sisters. She thought back to sitting around the fire in the evenings with her family and reading stories from her mamas bible while the fire crackled peacefully....

Those memories and her false peace were quickly shattered when Trevor jerked her off of his arousal and used her hair to yank her to her feet. Temperance was confused because he was still hard and long and hadn't yet reached his release. What was he doing?

"Time for you fulfill your duties," Trevor growled as he tugged off his boots and kicked out of his pants.

Temperance frowned and took a step back, "What do you mean?" she whispered--though inside she was sure she knew and it terrified her. Her innocence was all she had left--that was the one non-violated part left of her body and her soul. She couldn't let Trevor take that from her.

Pain exploded behind her eyes when the back of Trevor's hand fell sharply upon her cheekbone. Temperance was dazed by the sheer force of the blow and before she had time to regain her senses, Trevor was tossing her down upon the mattress so roughly that her breath was forced from her lungs and she was left gasping.

Trevor was upon her then. His hands were ripping and tearing at her nightclothes. The sound of fabric being shredded filled the air bedroom and it wasn't until Trevor's hand touched the hair between her naked thighs that Temperance found her voice.