Telling Taylor

"Hey Tay," I said passing her the popcorn in my room. We were watching mean girls, her favourite film.
"Uh-huh?" She asked with a mouthful of popcorn.
"Don't get mad." She instantly looked at me with wide eyes.
"What have you done?"
"I've kinda been seeing a guy for a few weeks..." Her mouth opened so wide that the popcorn in her mouth had fallen out. She jumped on top of me.
"WHAT! Who, who who! You haven't told me anything!"
I blushed.
"Come on, who is it?!"
I couldn't bring myself to say it, instead giggles came out.
Pushing my arm she insisted, "tell me now!! I can't believe you've kept it as a secret from me for so long you sneaky."
"... Tyler Johnson..." Her eyes widened even more and let out an ear screeching scream and jumped.
"OH MY GOD. You're joking right?!" I shook my head in disbelief. "You're dating Tyler? Tyler Johnson?" I nodded in agreement. She sat back down and stayed wide eyed staring at the screen. "I have no words." She said with a sigh. " How?"
I told her it was a long story. I explained to her the whole situation of me almost dying and how he saved my life and how he came to check up on me in he hospital and how I saw him in that fundraiser and how he asked me out then. And then we had our first kiss outside my front door. She side smiled.
"I'm happy for you Kate." I smiled. "But, I am also so jealous of you!" She said smacking me with a pillow. "No fair, you got the best one! The hottest one in the whole town. Seriously. Don't do anything stupid, remember what we spoke about in the beach."
"Yep, we are taking things slow Tay, don't worry," I reassured her. She smiled and rolled her eyes at the same time, which in Taylor language is her blessing. I was so relieved I had finally told her, it was so tiring to keep it as a secret!
"Oh and you best be on the look out for hurricane Jasmine," she said rolling her eyes.
"What do you mean?" I said throwing a popcorn in my mouth. She widened her eyes at me and swallowed a mouthful.
"What do you mean, what do you mean? Jasmine Stone is a Regina George!" She said pointing to the screen. "I'm just warning you... they've been on breaks before and she made sure that no other girl would be interested in him so he would have no other choice but to go back with her. Well except you of course. She probably didn't think he would have gone for the quiet nice girl," she threw another handful in her mouth, "no offence," she said with her mouth full of popcorn.
"None taken, I wouldn't have thought so myself. I'm still in disbelief," I exhaled with a sigh.
"Just warning you, when spring break is over, she will claim back her territory."
I sat back on the bed. She was right. I had no way of standing up with Jasmine Stone.  But I'm not just so ready to hand over what is rightfully mine.

_____

"Hey Kate?" Tyler said question-fully.
"Yeah?" I said looking over to him.
I waited for his shift to be finished, the sun was setting behind the ocean, whilst we were lying down on the towels, fingers entwined and my head on his chest. I lifted my head and leaned on my hand to see his face. His eyebrows were scrunched and his lips were tense; he was going to ask me something.
"What do you think about going for dinner?" He asked with a face full of doubt. I gasped.
"I would love to!" I grinned. He looked up to my smile, and smiled too and took a sigh of relief.
"Great! What about tomorrow night?" He asked.
"Yeah tomorrow is okay with me, perfect too, it's the last day of spring break," I said with a smile. "Where we going?"
"Ah! I'll leave that as a surprise, I'll give you one hint though. It's my favourite restaurant here."
"Then it must be amazing," I said with a smile.
"I'll leave you to be the judge tomorrow," he leaned in and kissed my forehead.

We continued admiring the sunset and the spectacular array of pinks and oranges that were present in the sky. I laid my head on his chest and listened to his heart beat. It was like a lullaby that made my eyes heavier and heavier with each second that passed, until I set off into a blissful sleep.