Chemistry

~ Harry

I wetted my lips as I tried to sound out the words, but truthfully I had nothing to say. The girl seemed to be Alaina's friend and I didn't want to upset Alaina with what I had to say. The truth was, she wasn't my mystery girl. She lacked a certain element and my mystery girl had it all. She was flawless, and witty. Everything I dreamed of her to be. I still needed to find her and I wasn't going to stop searching.

"It was great!" I faked enthusiasm, crossing my fingers in hope that she wasn't going to suffocate me with questions because I wasn't planning on answering them truthfully.

But instead she said nothing; She just sat there her icy blue eyes staring straight ahead like she had just been cut deep in the heart. Wow, she must've been very upset about her father...I felt bad because I couldn't do anything but take her to him but I guessed that's just the way life is...sometimes you just can't make peoples problems disappear, even If you tried another one would pop up. It was just the rollercoaster of life.

~ 30 minutes later

I sat in the hospital room as Alaina ran her palm along her fathers cheeks. I shut my eyes and took a deep breath, the scent of fruit and sweet tea wavering in the room. I wished I could help her. She looked too depressed, more than I could bare and I hated that I just wanted to go back to the hotel with the boys. It made me feel evil wanting to abandon her, but I couldn't pull myself away, everytime she looked back at me with her bright blue eyes I witnessed her pain and It broke my heart into peices. I was going to fix this someday. I was going to help her father get better, there had to be a way.

But, instead of following my instincts; I spoke up, "Is he going to be okay?"

Alaina let a wisp of her blonde hair fall over her eyes as she rotated her body around to look at me, "I don't know, honestly." 

"Well, do you want him to be okay?" 

"Of course I want him to be okay . What kind of question was that anyway? Do you really think I'm heartless?" Alaina squaked, her voice becoming shakey.

I hated to read the pain in her eyes, I always knew it was there but now It was glowing. I've never met a girl as beautiful as her with these kind of problems. She didn't live her life for herself, she lived it for her father and his supposed friend, Natalie. 

"I'm sorry...I don't think your heartless." I said casually, before a buzz came from the depths of my pocket; It was probably one of the boys wondering where I was.

Hey, boo-boo! Up for another date l8r? - Unknown

I growned inwardly as I stared at it for a few more seconds than usual. Wasn't there some date rule or something, like never text a guy or call after a first date? It was like girl suicide or so I heard from my sister Gemma.

"Who is that?" Alaina cocked her head to meet my eyes in her signature, curious-style.

"The girl you hooked me up with." I answered plainly, shrugging like It wasn't anything new. She was cool but I wasn't into the needy-rushy types. I liked the kind of girl that would make me chase her. It was entralling and adventurous and as you can tell, I am a big fan of both of those traits.

"Oh, I need to teach her the dating rule." Alaina half-laughed as she went over and sat in the chair next to me.

"You remember when you asked me how my date went with her?" I switched the subject quickly as I   balanced my hands on the chair.

"Yeah.." She nodded slowly like she had no idea what this was coming to. 

I took a deep breath and twisted my hands through my curly locks, fidgetively. "I wasn't being totally honest with you earlier about it. The truth is, my date was terrible. At first I was like, wow I could really start to like this girl and then I realized that we lack something." 

"Like what?"

"Chemistry." I met her eyes again, my spirits lifting as a smile concocted on her face. She must have been as relieved as I was that I lifted that burden off of my chest. I had to admit, I did feel a whole lot better.

"Well, love is a matter of chemistry." Alaina shrugged as she rubbed my shoulder, creating my thoughts to tremble. There it was. That touch. The same touch that I recieved when my mystery girl touched me....I wasn't falling for Alaina was I? No I couldn't be. She was just my friend. 

"Have you ever been in love, Alaina?" I examined closely, looking for any signs of regret or betrayel.

Silence filled the air created me to become more fretful for her. I didn't understand why she wasn't saying anything and it was driving me crazy. I liked to know what girls were thinking but Alaina was too fickle.

"I don't want to talk about it." Alaina answered flat-out, creating me to cringe. It must have been a bad experience, which I totally understood even though I've never been heartbroken before. I knew how horrible girls could feel over guys when they hurt them. Guys were pigs, even I knew that.

"Spill it, Blonde." I demanded eagerly.

She sent me a death glare and then huffed out a breath in defeat, "Oh fine!" She raised her arms up in surrender. "I have been in love before!"

"Why didn't you just say so?" I teased playfully as the door cracked open, a small red-headed nurse popping in. She held a look of worry and displeasure that created my bone to crawl. I hoped it wasn't any more bad news about her father. Alaina was going through enough already.

"Hello, Alaina. You are looking very pretty today!" The nurse greeted, wearing a bright grin. Wow, her moods changed very swiftly. She was just mad and now she's practically dancing on a cloud in joy!

"Thank you, Mrs...." Alaina glanced down at her nametag like she lost track of her name from the last time she met her. "Gerard." She finished, as she readjusted her fathers blankets again making sure it was neat and tidy.