Chapter 9

Almost every hour of every day, Liz thinks of how different her life would be if she did not go to Harvard University. With the help of Krista and her co-workers, Liz has been sober ever since her fight with Matthew. Her wrist has gotten better, but now that scar represents something else that she wants to forget.

There is not a day that goes by when Liz does not think about Matthew. She loves him more than she ever thought she did. To preoccupy herself, Liz is doing what she knows best- doing autopsies and solving crimes.

--------------------

Almost two years have gone by and Liz likes to think that she has moved on. She met several different men and has gone back to her original behavior- having sex with them and then breaking up with them the next day. One day after work, Krista pays Liz a visit.

"I'm so glad that you're back to your normal self, Liz," Krista mentions.

"Yeah, me too."

"So who were you with last night?"

"Oh, I don't even remember his name."

"Liz, I'm glad that you're happy, but you need to stop this. You're going to kill yourself."

"Kris, I'm well aware of that. I'm not happy."

"You still miss him, don't you?"

"I made such a big mistake, Krista. How could I let him walk away like that?"

"I don't know, but the damage is already done. Hold on, I have to pee," Krista says as she gets up from the table and walks over to the bathroom. When she was done, she looks over in the room next door. Liz hasn't done anything to the baby's room. It looked like it was not touched since he passed away and that broke Krista's heart. She returns to Liz.

"What do I do?" Liz asks desperately.

"I don't know, Liz. I really, really don't. I've been asking myself the same thing for the past year and a half."

"Yeah..." Liz whispers.

The next day, Liz wakes up, eats breakfast, and goes to work. When she walks into the door, she runs into Detective Simon. "Dr. Rananti," he greets her. "Hey Simon," she responds, walking with him to the elevator. They both go downstairs to the autopsy room.

They have been working on a case with a drowning victim. This has been the first drowning victim Liz has worked with since the case where Liz got stabbed. She keeps thinking about the time when Matthew called her while in the middle of working that case.

"Listen, honey. I'm going to have to call you back. I love you... Alright, bye-bye," Liz hangs up her phone and looks at the detectives.

"What?" She asks.

"He calls you during lunch?" Detective Julie asks with a smirk on her face.

"Yes," Liz responds laughing.

"That is adorable. You two are perfect," Julie says.

Thinking back, Liz smiled at the memories she has shared with Matthew. They were perfect for each other, but then she ruined it. Later that day, Liz walks up to the detectives.

"Hey doc!" Simon shouts.

"Hey guys, do you have anything?" she asks.

"No, we're far from this one. We are calling it a night," Detective Julie says.

"Alright, well I guess I'm heading home."

"With who?" Detective Simon asks.

"With just myself," Liz replies.