The War

Pulling into the student parking lot at a reasonable time of 7:52, I snag a spot close to the school doors. The sun is already shining brightly over the lot, filled sparsely with a few cars belonging to those who enjoy coming to school early. Kait and I linger in the car, finishing up a text here, checking our make up in the mirror there, A Day to Remember pounding out of the speakers as we savor the last time we had to drive to school as juniors. Kaitlin finally takes the lead in getting out of the car, skirt swishing as she strolls over to the back of her 'stang, wiggling her eyebrows at me as she bends over like a pin-up gal to open the trunk.

"Come here!" she beckons. I beam evilly as I move from leaning against the vehicle. Both of us gaze down into the trunk of her car, the precious cargo's plastic surfaces glinting in the sunlight. Beside a blue cooler that I know is filled with water balloons lie two mega-duty super soakers, and a few brightly colored pistols. Kaitlin looks expectantly at me as she bites her lip in a devilish way. I poke at the super soakers.

"All filled?"

"Check."

"Ice in the cooler?"

"Check check."

"We're good to go, soldier." She gives me a lazy salute under her grin before she closes the trunk to hide our ammo for the water balloon fight that happens every day on the last day of school here in the student parking lot. I'm just turning the battery off on Kaitlin's car, A Day to Remember shutting off abruptly, as loud screamo music comes flying across the parking lot in the form of a white truck. Kaitlin leans casually against her car, biting the end of a pair of sunglasses as the truck screeches to a stop in the spot beside us. Sage and Roman are in the front of it, showing off for us as they growl along with the fast-paced music, Sage headbanging wildly as he plays air drums, and Roman making a "hard core" face as he shakes his hair about and plays the air guitar. Kaitlin and I bust up laughing, the sound of our mirth covered by what I think is Bring Me the Horizon. As the key modulates and the refrain of the song comes on, both boys lean out the window toward us, Sage sprawled across Roman's lap to do so, and start mouthing the words to us out the open window.

"We will never sleep! Cause sleep is for the weak! And we will never rest! Till WE'RE ALL FUCKING DEAD!"

Kaitlin and I both screech at their rendition, accentuating the pauses in the beat to stare wildly still at us both before continuing their intense lip-syncing with the music. The song ends with more furious head-banging, and both boys suddenly halting in ridiculous poses when the music cuts out.

"You guys are RIDICULOUS," Kait manages to squeak between fits of laughter, using the car for support. I wipe imaginary tears of mirth from my eyes with big sweeps of my hand as I giggle uncontrollably. By the time we settle down from the amusement of their little show, both boys have hopped down from the truck.

"You guys ready to get your asses beat?" Roman grins from underneath his dark head of shaggy hair, giving the bed of his truck a loving pat. Nestled innocently in the pick-up rest 3 big coolers. I give a shrug after I hit the lock button for the trunk, and toss the keys to Kaitlin from the other side of the car.

"Bring your fury, for I'll not hold back mine," I pur with an evil smirk, standing my ground with a leisurely stance as Roman turns to stand directly in front of me. We're almost pinned between the tiny space left by the two vehicles. His chest bumps against mine slightly as he leans his head down close to mine to return my look.

"Better watch your back then, darlin'," he growls playfully, leaning even closer to me to rest his hand against Kaitlin's car.

"Better watch your pride then, sweet thang." I give him a flirtatiously diabolic wink before ducking out from under his arm to grab Kaitlin and start off towards the school with long, swinging steps.