A Mighty Craft

The day is absolutely gorgeous. The smell of clean, cut grass and warm wind lift my spirits as high as the puffy white clouds that float listlessly in the expanse of clear blue sky above me as I walk home from school. I can't help but smile as I deem this a perfect late-May day. Just the smell of warm, living earth being carried on the gentle breeze is enough to make me beam like an idiot at my surroundings. For a Monday, this day had been great. Finals and all. I mean, come on, it was the last Monday I would have to drag my butt to school for an entire summer. I'd say that makes it the best Monday ever.

As I come to the corner of a sunny block, a dirty white truck pulls up beside me, engine humming as the manual gears shift to park. I halt, pushing spiky pink bangs out of my face as I peer into the open driver's side window. My pulse quickens against my will as my eyes meet Roman's. He grins down at me slyly, his elbow draped leisurely out the open window, the breeze making me jealous as it plays with his dark hair.

"Hey, partner," he says with a twang, flicking his head in greeting. I cross my arms over my chest and shift my weight to one leg lazily as I cock my head at him.

"What do you want now Roman?" I ask with a half-smile, casually tapping my foot. I eye the rust that lines the bottom of the truck's doors as he answers me.

"Gotta pick up the balsa wood from Home Depot. You have the check list for the supplies on you?"

"Right here," I reply with a shrug, patting my purse. Roman grins.

"Oh good, I lost mine. Hop in." He pats the passenger seat beside him. I sigh audibly as I shuffle around the front of his truck, shooting him a smirk as I feel his gaze on me the entire way around. He leans over to open the door for me, and I raise an eyebrow at him as I climb up into the vehicle.

"Chivalry, huh?" He shows both rows of pearly whites as his mouth stretches into a cheesy grin.

"What's wrong with chivalry?" he asks as he shifts the truck into first gear and rolls out into the street.

"I would never peg you as the chivalrous type, to be honest," I say, my tone full of snark. He laughs out loud at this.

"Darlin'," he says, turning to catch my gaze devilishly while leaning in pointedly toward me, "I carried you princess-style out of a club and bar. You can't get much more chivalrous than that." I chuckle heartily, looking over at him as I slouch low in the seat. He drives with one arm stretched straight, his wrist resting lightly on top of the wheel as his hand and fingers dangle loosely on the opposite side. His other hand rests on the manual shift.

"Slaying a dragon is next, no doubt," I declare with a grin as my eyes linger on the lean contours of his outstretched arm. A glance flickers my way, carrying a smile.

"No doubt," he confirms.

After driving through the neighborhood part of town, we eventually make it into the commercial center, where stores like Walmart and the mall are located. Roman navigates down Main Street in pleasant silence as I admire the beautiful, busy day while leaning on the open passenger-side window. Lots of kids from school are dotting the streets, the shops and the weather most appealing on a day like today.

Roman pulls into the turning lane, and rolls to a stop at a red light with a shift in gears.

"Aleithea," Roman says inquisitively behind me, and I lift my chin from my hand to peer around at him with expectantly raised brows. Keeping his eyes on the road as the light turns green, he turns into the Walmart plaza as he continues, "What are your plans for the summer?" I run my hands through my hair out of habit as I think back to try and recall anything my mother might have said was planned.

"Mm... I think we're going to visit my dad in Connecticut sometime. But that will only be for a weekend or so. Other than that, nothing official or exciting."

"Nothing exciting?" he smirks, glancing from the road to me briefly.

"Well, unless you'd consider running around this town and those adjacent, with Kaitlin, for 3 months to deter boredom 'fun'..."

"Sounds like a great time," he grins sarcastically. I roll my eyes with a smirk before giving his bicep a good flick. The impact and his reaction promise a rosy welt.

We drive through the Walmart plaza to arrive at Home Depot on the other side, and Roman parks fairly close to the entrance. He nurses his arm dramatically as we both walk briskly across the parking lot toward the large man-store.

"You have a fucking rocket launcher as a forefinger and thumb," he accuses with a hilarious pout, and I shove my hands in the pockets of my jeans as I stick my tongue out at him smugly.

"What a big baby," I say with a leering grin, poking at his exposed side with an elbow as we stroll through the automatic doors of the store.

"Now you have to kiss it. Or else it's going to swell and disable my entire arm... Thanks to you, tough guy," he murmurs playfully, offering his upper arm, which is a little lower than eye-level. I fight to keep my face from flushing red at the notion of my lips against his taut skin, and instead aim another flick at the round part of his shoulder. He's quicker this time, and manages to dodge.

"See, you're learning," I voice, digging through my purse to find Mrs. Frann's checklist of balsa wood boat building supplies. "Okay..." I say, focused on reading the sheet of paper as Roman and I pause in walking through the store. "You're gonna have to find these things, cause I have no idea where to look in this place." Roman peers over my shoulder at the paper from behind me, leaning into me slightly as his head bows close to mine. My eyes flicker up to him as his cologne and proximity draw my attention.

"Deal," his voice rumbles softly, his breath tickling my ear. I repress a shiver as he finally minds his distance, and starts to lead the way through Home Depot.

We locate the tools necessary to craft our mighty ship, as Roman tends to refer to it as, and I push the squeaky cart after him as he leads the charge to find a salesman to assist us with the amount of balsa wood we would require. Roman finds a clerk, and with checklist in hand, he and the worker disappear down an aisle. With the clerk's help, we gather the correct number of balsa wood planks, and soon enough, Roman and I are back on the road with a truck bed full of supplies for the summer project.

The wind from the open window plays with my hair as I lean against the frame, not able to get enough of this sunlight on my skin. I glance thoughtfully over my shoulder toward Roman, who drives with his gaze intent on the road as the Devil Wears Prada plays from a CD in the player.

"Roman," I venture softly, my voice almost a whisper. He blinks rapidly as my voice draws him out of his thoughts, and he cranks the music down before glancing at me with raised brows. "Are you honestly going to be gone the entire summer?" I ask hesitantly. His eyes stay on the road as he tilts his head in thought.

"We'll be heading out a few days after school ends, and we stay at the camp until the last few weeks of summer. We visit back home periodically for a few weekends," he tells me plainly, before taking a lingering glimpse in my direction. "Are you worrying about this, Allie?" A smile spreads on his lips. His sincere smiles are as contagious as the common yawn, and I repress one of my own as I look back out the window.

"Maybe..."

"Hey," he murmurs, startling my heart as he places his large hand gently on my leg to get my attention. "Don't worry, darlin'," he assures with a steady look, "We'll find the time. I'll pull my weight, with you. There's no way I'm leaving you a portion of the work to do alone, you'd ruin our mighty craft," he adds the last part with a smirk, his hand sliding back to the stick shift. I fold my arms over my chest as I give an exasperated sigh.

"Well geez, thanks," I grumble with a smile. Roman snickers as he throws a wink in my direction.

"Direct me to your house, Allie."