Epilogue

"So, what's next for you and Brock?" Ann's voice echoed through my phone as I sat cross-legged on my bed. I'd been back at the ranch almost a month, which is exactly how long Brock and I had been dating.

           I sighed. "I don't know... I wish you could see him with Grace. He's just so good with her. She absolutely adores him."

           "I know someone else who adores him..."

            I chuckle. "Yeah, well, maybe."

           "Can I ask you a serious question?"

           I grimace. "Of course, you can. We're best friends."

           "If Brock asked you to marry him right now, would you?"

           I smiled to myself. "We've been dating a month, but if he asks me, there's no doubt in my mind that I'd say yes."

           She shrieked into the phone. "I knew it! I can't wait to plan this wedding!"

           "Hold your horses there. If it ever happens, it'll be a while. Remember, Brock's last marriage didn't go well. And well, mine didn't happen, but still. We've both been burned so we're taking it slow."

           She sighs. "I know, don't burst my bubble. Just let me get a little excited."

           I rolled my eyes and checked the time. "Ann, I've got to go. Brock's supposed to be feeding Grace so I can put her to bed. I'll talk to you tomorrow."

           We say our goodbyes as I head toward the nursery. "Is she finished?" I ask as I enter the doorway. I shush myself as I see Brock in the rocking chair with Grace in his arms, both fast asleep. I lean into the door frame and take in the sight before me.

          This is the reason I came back.

          This is the reason Brock would make an excellent father.

          I snapped a quick picture with my phone, knowing the photo would be going in Grace's scrapbook. I couldn't help but stare a few more minutes after. Whether Brock knew it or not, he was cut out to do this. Grace would grow up remembering things like this. Even though we aren't her biological parents, we are her family. I'll always be her mommy and Brock will always be her daddy, whether we marry or not.

         It's moments like these that I'll remember forever. I'll never forget how damaged I was before he came along. I wanted to end it, end it all, but he taught me how to love again; how to be happy again.

           Some people think life after a divorce or a broken engagement is heartbreaking. That isn't true; it's devastating. I'll never get the time I lost with Cain back. I'll never get those months in rehab back and I'll never be able to hold Peyton again.

         But even though all this is true, I did find happiness because all the hurt and devastation led me to this wonderful man. And one day, I'd be honored to be his wife.

THE END