Chapter Twelve

The anticipation was overwhelming as I waited for the main event. Usually, things went faster but I guess that was because I wasn't overly invested in anything like I am this time. "Five-minute warning!" A tech guy yelled down the hall as I stood from my chair and waited for Brock to come out of the locker room.

          Moments later, Big Steve, Jase, and Rodrigo stepped out with Brock behind them. I could tell he was in the zone so I didn't bother to speak as I joined them. Cain's music echoed through the hallway as we stood by the stage door.

         Once the tech team gave us the go ahead, Brock's theme began and we entered an arena full of screaming fans. Most of them were chanting his name but there were still a few on Cain's side, something I had expected. We made our way down the ramp and around the cage. Cain stood in the middle, watching our every move. I never once let my guard down. I wanted to show him that I wasn't afraid of him anymore and that he didn't control me. Judging by his expression, I got my point across.

          I stood beside Rodrigo as security cleared Brock to enter the octagon. "Ladies and gentlemen, this is the main event of the evening. And now, for the sold out crowd at the Honda Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, it's time! Five rounds for the undisputed UFC Heavyweight championship of the world. Introducing first, fighting out of the red corner, this man is a wrestler, with a current record of one win, no losses. He stands at 6 feet, three inches tall, weighing in at two-hundred-sixty-five pounds, fighting out of Alexandria, Minnesota. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome the challenger, Brock Lesnar!"

          When the announcer said his name, the crowd totally lost it. I thought I went deaf for a second as my ears adjusted to the noise. Once they quieted down, the announcer continued. "And now, fighting out of the blue corner, this man is a mixed martial artist, with an undefeated streak. Standing at 6 feet, one inch tall, weighing in at two-hundred-forty pounds, fighting out of San Jose, California. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome the UFC Heavyweight Champion, Cain Velasquez!"

          A mixed reaction accompanied Cain's introduction as the announcer stepped out of the ring and the referee took the mic. "Alright, gentlemen, you know the rules. Protect yourself at all times, follow my instruction, keep it clean. Touch gloves to make it official." Brock tapped Cain's gloves, smirked, and turned to his corner.

          I glanced at Rodrigo

          I glanced at Rodrigo. "He'd better not get too cocky..."

          Rodrigo chuckled. "That's one problem I've always had with him. He thinks he's invincible and sometimes, that gets him in trouble."

          I look back to the ring as the ref calls for the fight to begin. They circle one another several times before Cain charges toward Brock. Brock's quick and moves before he takes the hit but Cain lands a hard kick to the thigh before Brock completely moves away. "Come on! Protect yourself!" I scream toward him.

          I couldn't tell if he heard me or if he was just ignoring me but he did land several punches to Cain's jaw before attempting the take down. To my surprise, he landed it and pounced on top of Cain. He landed several blows to the head before I saw blood ooze from Cain's temple. Brock saw it and stood up, smiling at the crowd. "What the hell are you doing? Stay on him!" I yelled as Rodrigo grasped the cage and shook it to get Brock's attention.

          "Dude! Listen to her!" Brock did make eye contact but only for a second. Cain had composed himself and took Brock down to the mat before he knew what hit him. I groaned and face palmed myself in anger. "Damn arrogance." Rodrigo added.

           Cain was throwing punches left and right. "He's gonna lose. Cain's gonna KO Brock. I can't believe this!" I didn't even want to watch anymore. I turned my back to them and tried to gather myself.

          I didn't make it through rehab to lose. I didn't lose my best friend for no reason. I refused to take a loss! I had put my time and effort into Brock and he would be victorious! He had to be!

          Without another thought, I walked around the cage to where Cain had Brock grounded. I leaned down to ear level as he fought Cain's grip. "Stop your cockiness. Stop being the old you. This Brock isn't the man I've become so close to the past few weeks. This isn't the man that cares so deeply that he would risk everything to keep me from doing something I'd regret. This isn't you. Turn it off and do your good deed."

          Within seconds, his entire aura changed. With one swift movement, he threw Cain off of him and across the octagon. When Cain attempted to get up, Brock met him and took him down again, throwing some of the hardest punches I had ever seen. "Whatever you said, it worked!" Rodrigo added as I joined him. "He's freakin' attacking him!"

          I smiled as the ref pulled Brock off of him. "And your winner by KO, the new UFC Heavyweight Champion of the world, Brock Lesnar!"

          "Yes!" Rodrigo, Big Steve, Jase, and I bear hugged each other as they handed Brock his title. "We couldn't have done this without you, Kate. I hope he keeps you around." Jase added.

          Big Steve nodded. "Me too. You're good for him."

          The cage door opened as medical personnel went to check on Cain. The guys celebrated in the ring with Brock and stuck around for the post-match interview, but I had other things to do...

          I waited a few minutes and then headed backstage. Cain had come around and was in medical, being examined. When he saw me, he told the docs to step outside. "Why are you here? Isn't this what you wanted?" He asked.

          "When you remember this night, I want you to remember what I say..." I paused but continued. "What happened here had nothing to do with me. You caused all of this yourself. You think you kept such a secretive profile when you were with me but you didn't. I knew you were sleeping around and the night I was gonna leave you, you came home drunk and shoved me against the wall. That was the night that I became afraid you, Cain. That was the night that I realized I had no control over our relationship. You scared me into staying with you and got me pregnant as a guilt trick. But all you did was give me courage to live, for Peyton. That little girl gave me more courage and strength than one could possibly imagine. She's the reason I'm still here and she's the reason that you just lost your career. You thought I was weak, and I was when I was with you. But now, I'm a strong woman, who certainly doesn't need a man to make her happy. Let tonight remind you of the person you've become and hopefully, scare you into becoming a man. Because you, Cain, are a little boy whose daddy issues are keeping you from growing up. Women aren't weak, Cain, they can be loving and supportive, or they can be your worst nightmare." I turned to the door. "Don't let us cross paths again."

          He was completely bewildered at what I had said and to tell you the truth, so was I. No one had ever heard the words I had spoken of, not even Dana and no one would ever know the hurt I had been through...

          As I stepped through the doorway and out into the hallway, a sense of relief fell over me. It was like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders and finally, I felt free. I smiled to myself until I heard someone clear their throat.

          Brock was standing against the wall and judging by the look on his face, he'd heard me. "Thank you for all you've done. I owe you one." And with that, I walked away. I didn't want to talk about Cain right now.

        Right now, she  was waiting...