Chapter 12

At first, the twins didn't believe what they heard through the phone. They thought it was some sort of cruel joke.

He couldn't...really be gone. Could he?

Dipper felt a small sink in his heart, just for a moment. He caused this. Because he made a deal with the devil, their father was dead. But, when he looked at Mabel, the feeling went away.

She had a future again. She was safe. That's all that matters.

Mabel looked over at her brother, wearing a faint smile. Finally, he could heal. His scars could fade. They both could smile, despite everything.

She found out about the kid that morning. It hit her like a brick. But, there was something, relieving, in discovering such news. Something blissful, within such a tragedy. It was almost kind of funny.

Mabel didn't know what happened, but ruling it with better judgment, the tween decided to not ask questions.

Granted, Dipper didn't know what to expect from a demon like Bill. But, the deed was done. Only thing he could do now was sit and watch the effects of his split-second decision. He was just happy Mabel didn't ask how this happened to them. He sucked at playing dumb.

"This...is certainly gonna change things, huh bro?", Mabel asked, staring at a family picture. "Yeah. But, there's really no need to be sulking around anymore.", Dipper responded. Waddles climbed up her bed, tugging on her sweater.

"Say, don't you have a sleepover with Candy and Grenda tonight?", the boy asked, dropping easy hints. "Yeah, yeah! I am gonna hang out with my friends tonight! And it's gonna be awesome!! Like always!!", she leaped off the bed, fire quickly coming back into her soul. Waddles dashed outside, Mabel racing behind. Soos, who was right outside door, got slammed into it.

"Ah, dude!", he shouted in surprise. It gave him a nasty bruise, but nothing serious. Still, the manchild walked in. "Can I come in?", he asked, a little uncertain. "Sure, man.", Dipper answered, before cringing at the damage. "Woah, are you alright?", he asked quickly, suddenly in panic.

"Yeah, I'm fine dude.", Soos shrugged it off, before changing his gaze towards Dipper. "You ok?", he asked, scratching the back of his neck anxiously. All the boy did was sigh.

"Yeah, everything's fine.", Dipper responded quietly, eyes looking at the window. Soos met his line of sight, smiling faintly at the sunset. "It's just, you barely leave your room. We haven't been on a mystery hunt in ages. I, well, I can't say I 'get' what's happened to you dudes, I never could, but I was just wondering if... you wanted to blow up hot dogs in the microwave one at a time?", he asked, looking hopeful. Dipper gave a grin before hopping off of his bed. "DO I?!", he shouted.

Soos gave a laugh as they ran down the stairs. In the hallway, Dipper came across a mirror. He stopped for a second, looking at himself. And for once, he didn't know what to feel. He wasn't hurt, he wasn't afraid, he wasn't sad, he was just...there. And for some odd reason, that seemed to work.

"Dude, what's the hold up?" "Coming!"