3: Reality

My annoying alarm clock made my ears ring until I finally turned it off.

I did the usual, I got dressed, made my lunch, and grabbed my bag.

There was a football game today, so the jocks were much more energetic than usual. I was about to head towards the front doors of the school until a few players from the team stopped me.

Of course, Leo was there.

"What's up, fairy?"
I looked away from his laughing posse.
"I'm going to class, so excu-"

He pushed me down the shallow steps and I scraped my knee.

"Don't you EVER try to get past us without our permission, got it, faggot?"

Well fuck you too, Leo,

"What did you just say?"
Leo approached me with rage.

Shit. Did I say that out loud?
"You're gonna get it now, shitbag."

He picked me up by the collar and threw me onto the cement. He punched my face while the rest of his friends kicked my sides.

When the bell rang, Leo and his posse took a photo of me, then walked inside, proud of what they had done.

I picked myself up and winced at my knee.

When I get to class, it had already started.

"Would you like to explain why you were late, Mr. Joseph?"
I shook my head.

"Then please sit down, an email will be sent to your parents."

Great.

Classes went on as usual, until lunch started. I usually sat on one of the benches outside, but when I got there, a piece of paper was attached to it.

"KYS FAG!"

Wow, awesome. Super original too.
When I rip off the sign and finally sit down, I hear footsteps behind me.

"Hey there stranger."
Josh happily sat down next to me, but his posture changed when he saw my face.

"Oh my god, are you okay? What happened?"
Fuck. I guess my face is pretty bruised,

"Oh, I just, I just got into a fight with one of the other students here, but I'm fine."
Josh paused.

"No. No, you're not fucking fine, Tyler. This isn't oka-"
He was cut off when he saw the crumpled up sign.

"What's this?"
I shrugged.

"I dunno, just the football team being  dumb."
I could tell Josh was angry.

"I'm so, so sorry for doubting you Tyler."
"It's okay, you haven't been here long."

We chatted for a few more minutes, and did our classwork until we were interrupted by the bell, sending us our separate ways until Algebra.

(Time Skip: A few weeks go by)

Everything was fine. Everything was normal, nothing irrational had happened over the past few days. This actually came as a surprise so me.
Josh and I have become best friends, actually. I mean, he is really cute, but I would never have the guts to ask him out.
He was coming over later today, sadly, because his Aunt doesn't want him at the house when she isn't there. I say this like it's a bad thing because my parents, of course, are at it again. Actually, it was worse. The police almost got called. But for now it has somewhat simmered down.

I hear a knock on the door and rush to open it.

"Hey Ty!"
...Ty? He's been calling me that an awful lot lately.

"Hey Josh. Come on in, my room is upstairs."
He takes off his shoes and follows me upstairs. I set my phone on my desk, and let Josh get comfortable.

"So...this is my really, really pathetic home."
I say with exaggeration.

"It's not pathetic! It's a good home. Thank you for having me."

He's just being polite.

"Go away blurryface."

"What?"
I hadn't realized I said that out loud. I've gotta stop doing that.

"Hm? Oh I just cleared my throat."

He just shrugged as we both sat on my bed, and talked about random things. Music, favorite colors, favorite animals, future careers, etc etc. I swear I'm five years old when it comes to socializing.

*CRASH!*
Josh turned to me after hearing the sudden loud noise.

"Oh, don't worry, my parents fight sometimes."
Josh looked at me like a sad puppy.

"What happened? Or, well....what happens?"
I sigh, knowing that I would have to explain.

"To keep it short, my mother has bipolar disorder. They never got along since I was born, or as far as I can remember."
Tears welled up in my eyes.

"I guess....I don't know..I feel like the mistake in this family if I even have one. Like I was an accident." I sniffled and wiped my eyes.

"Hah, gosh I'm really sorry, I'm so dramatic sometimes..."
I awkwardly chuckled and gave a half smile to lighten the mood a bit.
Josh grabbed my hand, got closer, and looked me in the eye. His brown eyes were impossible to resist.

"Ty. You, are not, an accident. Okay? You are super awesome, and you're meant to be here-"

"TYLER JOSEPH!!"
My mother screamed.

"I gotta go, I'll be right back."
I run downstairs only to be pushed to the ground by my drunk mother.

"YOU PIECE OF SHIT WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY YOU WERE GOING TO HAVE A PERSON COME OVER??"

"I....I thought you knew...."
My vision got distorted by tears.

"UGH, TYLER, GET OUT OF MY SIGHT!"

I can't stop thinking about how useless I am. My parents don't love me, and I have no friends. Well, I had Josh.
I suddenly felt the familiar adrenaline craving, breaking down and running upstairs.
I pass Josh and lock myself in the bathroom.

"Tyler?? Are you okay?"

"Y-yeah I'm fine just give me a second."
I grab a baggie with a blade in it out from under the carpet.

I could hear Josh's distant talking, but the moment that the metal touched my skin, everything was blocked out.
After my arm is torn up, I clean off the blood, toll down my sleeves, and put the blades back.
I open the door to be embraced by Josh.

"Tyler...what happened?"

I explained to him everything...I just left out the cutting part.
The conversation continued on my grey bedding, and somehow we got onto the subject of video games, when abruptly...
"Yeah, Mario is a classi-"

He paused.

"Ty....what is that?"
He pointed at the bloodstain on my bedding underneath my hand.

"Oh, it's...it's just..nothing."
Josh, with a concerning look, turned to me.

"Um...could I uh, see your arms please?"
My face dropped instantly.

"Oh don't worry, it's fine, whenever I get nervous I pick at my bug bites or old scabs."
I try to come up with an excuse.
Did I actually think he was going to believe me?