Chapter Eleven

‘What?’ I said, it was more a question of disbelief than an actual question.

Alli sobbed down the phone.

Cody stared at me, and I nudged my head forward, trying to gesture him to continue walking.

‘Okay, we’re on our way to yours now Alli! We’ll be there as quick as we can!’ I said.

She hung up and Cody stared at me with a questioning look on his face, crossed between a look of worry.

‘What?’ He said.

‘I don’t want you to freak, you’ve got to promise me you will stay calm!’ I said.

‘Promise, now tell me!’ He said. He kind of half turned around to walk backwards so he could look at me.

‘Well, Ash, well, he’s left Alli!’ I said, waiting for his response.

‘Right.’ He said, angrily, but he kept calm-ish as he’d promised.

‘Well, that’s not the worst part…’ I said, hesitantly.

‘What, what else has he done, has he hurt her, I’ll get him!’ He blurted, starting to walk faster.

‘Her left her for….’

‘For WHO?’ He spat.

‘…. For Amy.’ I said awkwardly.

The next thing I knew I was running down the street, well being dragged along is more precise. Once I’d said it, Cody had yanked my hand, nearly making me drop my phone, and well… we ended up running at this ridiculous pace.

Cody skidded into his drive, still dragging the partially dead me behind him.

He swung the door open and ran to Alli’s bedroom, finally letting go of my hand. I huffed and panted before following him.

I walked in to find Alli curled up on her bed, crying and Cody was partially hitting the wall.

‘Go and calm down!’ I ordered him, pointing to the door.

‘But… I’ll kill him, I’ll kill her.’ He partially yelled.

I hugged him to calm him down and he slowly relaxed, then went to his room. I could hear him angrily playing his guitar. Guess that must help him, although it was so wonderful how he cared for his sister, I didn’t like angry Cody. He said things he didn’t mean but I’m sure his head must be spinning. 

I stayed with Alli for most of the day, well starting from around 3pm. I sat for around an hour wiping her tears and running to the bathroom to get more tissues. In the end I bought the whole box in.

I tried my hardest to make her laugh, and it seemed to work… most of the time.

‘He’s an absolute cheeseballing with holy on top idiot! You don’t need that cheeseball.’ I said.

She laughed, but it was probably from my overuse of the word cheeseball.

I slowly heard the sound of Cody’s guitar getting softer; therefore he must have calmed down a bit.

Alli fell asleep and I put her blanket over her. I walked out of her room and softly closed her door. I walked down the hall to Cody’s bedroom. I knocked and he got up and let me it. It seemed very formal, but I hate walking into peoples’ bedrooms unannounced.

He walked me over to his bed and I sat down on it. I slipped my arm around his neck.

‘I’m sorry.’ He said, softly.

‘What for?’ I said.

‘For outbursting.’ He smiled.

‘Don’t be, do not be.’ I said, resting my head on his shoulder. He rested his head on mine.

I hadn’t noticed when I’d walked in, but his room was incredibly neat. He had a music corner, and like a cabinet corner. And a door, presumably to his wardrobe. Music was playing in the background, very quietly. I think it was Jack Johnson.

I sat there for ages, and Cody told me how he’d separated from Amy.

‘She was a really good friend, who in all honesty, I liked. We went out for about a year, then out of the blue she dumped me.’

He paused, like he was really thinking about something.

‘She dumped me, for Jake.’ He … I couldn’t really work out his expression. But his fists clenched and he started breathing really deeply. I figured out that he’d just really thought about this again.

‘I didn’t speak to him for a year. When I went back to Australia for a holiday to see my family and friends, him and Giorgia were waiting at the airport. I guess I couldn’t stay mad at him forever, but I could her. It wasn’t until she left me that I realised how horrible she was, especially to Alli.’ He said. He’d calmed down now. Talking always seems to help him, it does me too.

‘Thanks, for listening. And helping Alli. I appreciate it.’ He smiled, giving me a hug.

‘Don’t thank me!’ I said, hugging him back.

‘I love you.’ He said.