Chapter Seven

I didn’t know what to do. I couldn’t take in what I’d just read. Jake stepped towards me to grab the phone, but I stepped back. I kept reading it over and over again.

Cody walked away.

‘Did you get chance to tell Lexi how you feel? Do you still like her?...’ It read.

I bet you’re thinking, no big deal, right?

Well it is, for me anyway.

Cody liked…. Me. 

ME.

Cheese. Balls.

CHEESE. BALLS.

I walked up to Cody.

‘Is it true?’ I asked. I was freaking out, this had never happened to me before. EVER.

He glanced at me before looking at his shoes.

Yes.

I knew it before he even said it.

‘Maybe.’ He mumbled.

I saw Jake slowly leave the room out of the corner of my eye.

‘Is it?’ I said. I was so scared, shaking even! I don’t know why. I was trying not to show my nerves.

*Long silence*

He looked at me. Really looked at me.

‘Yes. Yes okay!’ he said. He stood and shrugged his shoulders, stared at his feet and tapped his toes.

I needed to sit down. Cody pulled the chair out for me and I slumped down in it.

All that was going through my head was ‘Cody likes me. He just admitted he likes me. Cody likes ME. Boring old Lexi. Don’t just sit here woman, answer him.’

‘Can I ask you something? Please.’ I said, staring at him.

‘… Sure.’ He said, slumping in the chair next to me.

‘I have two actually.’

‘Fine.’ He said bluntly. You could almost feel his cheeks burning they were that red. How sweet. Mine were the same. How embarrassing.

‘One, how long? I asked, staring at the table, trying to avoid eye contact.

‘Since the first day I met you honestly. Disney Land made me realise how much I actually do like you. Cheesy right?’ He replied, still looking at his feet.

‘Alli, Madison and Jake, they stayed ahead on purpose didn’t they?’ I said.

He nodded.

‘Stupid.STUpid. STUPID!’ I said over and over again in my head. How could I not have seen this?

‘Okay, two. Why?’ I asked.

He looked at me confused. ‘Why what? I don’t follow?’

‘Why do you like me, I mean, there’s not much to like is there?’ I said. I looked at him now.

‘Are you serious?’ He said.

‘Deadly.’ I replied.

‘Well, you’re incredibly pretty, and I don’t think you know that. You’re so funny, bubbly, cheery, and I love how you panic about everything. Including this.You're just a general beautiful person.’ He smiled, looking incredibly uncomfortable. For such a chilled out guy, he really looked nervous.

‘How can you tell I’m panicking? I said.

‘Well, your nostrils flare!’ He said.

‘So all those times I caught you staring at me you were checking to see if it makes me nervous?’ I laughed.

‘Possibly. I really like you you know. Can I ask you something now please?’ He asked hesitantly.

‘Sure…’ I replied, trying to keep my nostrils from flaring.

‘Do…’

‘Go on, ask.’ I said.

‘Do… do you like me? The way I like you?’ He asked, he looked at his feet again.

I stood up.

‘C’mon, stand up.’ I said.

‘Why?’ He asked.

‘Just do it!’ I said.

He stood up and I moved closer to him.

Now I was leaning in. Closer.

And closer.

Closer.