chapter 9

Sitting there on the couch I couldn't help the irregular breathing patterns coming from my lungs, or the fast paced beating of my heart.

Werewolf.

Shifter.

Those are the only words that rang through my mind. James was a werewolf, and how did I know for sure? There was currently a huge black wolf standing in front of me, where James once sat.

After telling me we had to talk he simply looked into my eyes. And took a deep breath.

"im going to show you something. Just- please. Don't freak out okay?" he asked me, and of course the words alone made my heart beat quicken and butterflies of anticipation flutter to life in my stomach.

"Okay?" I replied. Waiting for what was to come. It was then he stood from the couch, removing his shirt, making my eyes slowing look over the glorious specimen that was his chest and abs, absentmindedly licking my lips, causing him to groan.

"You no this would be a whole lot easier if you didn't do that." He said, smirking slightly, making a blush come to my cheeks. I looked at him as he stood there, taking deep breaths, like he was trying to calm himself.

"James? What is all this about? And why did you take your shirt off?" I asked him, not really minding the fact that he was half naked in front of me, more curious as to the fact of why.

"It's just easier to show you." He said, slowly unbuttoning his pants, never taking his eyes away from mine.

"what are you doing?" I asked, blushing furiously now, covering my eyes in embarassement.

" just trust me. and please know that I would never hurt you." He said softly. A second later I heard the sound of bones cracking, causing my stomach to heave and panic to strike me immediately. Whipping my head around to him I no longer saw the man, but the wolf. Standing in front of me he solely took a step towards me, lowering his head as in telling me he wouldn't hurt me. I scooted back into the couch until I was hitting the back of it. But when the giant animal in front of me finally lifted its head and looked up at me I noticed it. Those eyes. Those same sea foam green eyes that had captured me from the moment I seen James, were now staring back at me.

"James?" I asked. Not sure of what to do. It was then that the giant beast nodded his head, taking another step towards me, lowering his head once again before bumping my hand. Making a small yelp come from my mouth before I sat my hand on his head. Feeling the soft hair run through my fingers. He sat down on his haunches, his head on my lap and closed his eyes, just letting me touch him.

I had read about werewolves in books before, seen them in movies. But never in my life had I ever thought that this was possible. For a man to be able to change shapes and become a wolf seemed so far fetched, yet here it was. Right in front of me.

We sat in silence a few more minutes, me collecting my thoughts about the whole situation and trying to connect the dots. All along wondering, 'what did any of this have to do with Caleb?'

"James?" I said quietly, only to have him raise his head in answer.

"can you um. you know..change back?" I asked him. he slowly got to his feet, walking around me towards the hallway and into his room. Coming out a few minutes alter in a pair of sweatpants and a black t-shirt.

:" I'm guessing you have a lot of questions?" he asked me, rubbing the back of his neck nervously.

" a few." I answered him.

" well ask anything you want. Ill tell you anything you want to know." He said, grabbing my hands, smiling slightly and letting out a breath of relief when I didn't flinch away from him.