chapter 8

Getting out of bed my thoughts were still consumed with James and our date. He had been so sweet, so romantic, so...perfect. I didn't know what it was about him that made me feel whole again, but he did. It was like before I only had half a soul, and now its finally completed.

I walked to my closet, deciding to get my mind on track and get ready for the busy day ahead of me. Just as I grabbed my work uniform out of the closet my phone rang.

"hello?" I answered, still preoccupied with my original task.

"hello beautiful" that was all it took for my body to begin to shake uncontrolablly. My knees buckling beneath me.

"C-Caleb?" I asked. Trying to steady my voice. With a hearty chuckle he replied.

"don't worry baby. Ill see you soon enough. And tell your 'mate' I will be seeing him too. Love you." He said. spitting out the word mate like it disgusted him to say it. Before I could reply the line went dead, signaling the end of our conversation.

I dropped the phone, struggling to breathe. Images of what would happen when he found me were flashing through my mind. My feet seemed to move of there own accord, taking me back to the closet, where I began ripping everything out of it. Shoving it into a small black duffel I had. Intent on leaving before he could get to me. thoughts were running through my head a mile a minute.

How did he find me?

How long before he gets here?

And wait...mate?

I froze slightly at that thought. What the hell is a mate? I thought, just as I heard the front door creak open. I froze where I was, hearing it close. My heart pounding out of my chest, glancing around for anything to use as a weapon. I settled on my bedside lamp, and ran to the closet. I heard footsteps approach the bedroom door.

"Sammie?" once I heard hi voice, my body crumbled in relief. A sob working its way up my throat and out of my mouth.

"James!" I managed to say through my histerics. Flinging myself out of the closet and into his arms. Clinging to him like a lifeline.

"what's wrong? Are you hurt?" he asked me, concern ringing in each word he spoke. I shook my head, not able to speak. He pulled me over to the bed, laying me down on it with him. cradeling me into his arms with my head on his chest as I cried with both fear and relief. Fear that Caleb had finally found me, and relief that James was here. Because in a way when he was with me, it felt like nothing could get to me. and in that moment I knew I was safe in his arms.

After a while my crying died down, leaving me exhausted. James kissed my forehead, moving to get up from the bed. Causing me to grip at him, almost going into histerics all over again.

"shh. Its okay, I'm just going to get your phone and call Jane. You can't go to work like this. I will be right back." He said as he stroked my cheek tenderly. I gave him a feeble nod before laying my head down on my pillow, and before he could even make it back into the room, I fell into a deep sleep.

Opening my sore eyes, I sat up in bed. Instantly remembering today's events, sending me into a panic all over again. just as I was about to get up and finish packing the few belongings i had James walked into the room.

"hey. Sleep okay?" he asked me, inching towards the bed slowly.

" ya. Look I'm sorry. About before." I trailed off. " but I really should be going."

"going? Going where?" he asked me, looking as panicked as I did earlier.

"I'm sorry James. I s not that I want to leave. But I have to you don't understand..." I said, grabbing my duffle trying to stuff a few last minute items in it while side stepping him to get to the door.