chapter 3

Mumbling to myself I grabbed my keys and purse, and made my way out the door. Today was it was especially cold out, so bundling myself up a little extra I braced myself for the long walk to the diner, and opened the door. Making my way down the front porch steps I was greeted by a smirking Lucas leaning casually against the hood of his truck.

"Ready?" he simply asked, his smirk only growing wider each second.

"For what?" I asked confused.

"I'm here to take you to work" he said

"I really don't need a ride. I told you that before." I explained. Diverting my eyes to my boots to hide my irritation, watching them slowly sink a little deeper into the freshly fallen powder.

"Come on Sam. You know its to cold to be walking around outside." He said trying to sway my decision.

"Why did you come. Really?" I asked. Knowing he couldn't have come on his own just because he didn't want me walking in the cold. I barely knew the man!

"Umm...Oliver sent me." He said, rubbing the back of his neck. "He said not to leave unless you were in the car with me...stubborn old man" he replied. mumbling the last part, and just as I was about to refuse a huge gust of wind came through, blowing my hair everywhere, chilling me to the bone.

"Ugh, fine." I said walking around to where he had the passenger side door propped open and waiting for me.

"Thanks" I said truthfully. Even though I hated excepting things like this it was nice not to have to walk in this weather. He just gave me a smile and closed the door. Running around the truck, jumping into the drivers seat and putting it in gear.

The drive to the diner was uneventful. A comfortable silence resounded in the cab, until we arrived about 20 minutes later.

" So I'll pick you up at 5:30?" He asked hopefully.

"No. That wont be necessary Lucas. Thank you though. You don't need to be going out of your way for me." I said shaking my head while I grabbed my bag and hoisted it onto my shoulder. "And before you say anything about Oliver, I will be telling him that myself, so you don't need to worry about your hide. You did your part, so you should be safe." I said grinning. I knew how Oliver could be. he was as stubborn as they come and if he wanted something done, then it got done, no questions asked.

"Okay I guess. But don't hesitate to call if you need a ride or anything. I promise its not an inconvenience or anything. Were practically neighbors." He said putting the truck in reverse.

"Okay Lucas. I'll talk to you later. And thanks again" I said jumping down from the truck and making my way inside.

The day passed by slowly, since it was so cold most of everyone decided to stay inside, not wanting to venture out. So when the bell rung above the door, signaling a new arrival I looked up curiously only to find Oliver coming through the door, and he wasn't alone.

He sat down in his normal booth, and I made my way over, ready to give him a piece of my mind..

" Oliver" I said in a sing-song voice. Only to have him glance at me and cock his eyebrow questioningly.

"You have some explaining to do mister." I said stopping just infront of him and his guest, putting my hands on my hips, showing him I meant business. Only to have him smirk at me mockingly.

"Well good afternoon to you to Sammie. How has your day been?" he asked coyly.

" What do you think your doing Ollie?I'm not a charity case and you know I hate being treated like one. There is no need to send your boys to cart me around like a child" I said.